Senior Newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grandpa jim

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
NW Iowa
Just bought my first smoker and enjoying it but need a lot of help.  Found this site and getting a lot of good ideas.  Thanks.  See a lot of posts saying cook with themp instead of time.  What is the best type of digital to get?  Do you think it is worth the price for Jeff's Receipies.  Thanks again, will be watching for some answers and suggestions!

Just bought my first smoker and enjoying it but need a lot of help.  Found this site and getting a lot of good ideas.  Thanks.  See a lot of posts saying cook with themp instead of time.  What is the best type of digital to get? Maverick 732. Check this site, http://www.amazenproducts.com/   Do you think it is worth the price for Jeff's Receipies. Yes, they are both very good & you can tweak them to your taste.  Thanks again, will be watching for some answers and suggestions!

All good suggestions above. The ET732 is really handy in monitoring both pit and food temps, and the alarm has saved me a time or 2 when I dozed off and my temps needed attention.

What kind of smoker did you get?

What have you smoked so far/are planning to smoke?

Good luck and have fun reading here for a day or two!!

And welcome to SMf.

welcome1.gif

I have been doing a lot of research on the digital thermometers myself. I would spend the extra $30 and get the ET-732 over the old model ET-73. Looks like people had a lot of trouble with range with the older model (300ft vs 100ft) and it would not let you know if it lost communication with the transceiver like the ET-732 does. Amazon has it reasonably priced as well with free shipping and no tax.

Welcome Jim!!!

Seems there are a lot of us Old Guys Here.

That proves smoking meat isn't bad for you!

Bear

Welcome Grandpa Jim!  I'm a grandpa too, but I'm only 49. 
biggrin.gif

As others have stated, the ET-732 is a really handy therm.  Knowing the smoker temp keeps you from peeking all the time and losing your heat.  The alarms are great.

Jeff's rub gave me the starting point to tweak it to my taste.  Highly recommended as a good rub!

Welcome Jim, Great Grandpa here at 60.

Agree ET-732 is the best and absolutely on Jeffs receipies.

Surf the forum, ask questions, everyone here is always ready to give there opinions.

Welcome Jim - I have a few years on most of the gradpas here. I have a 22 year old grandaughter. Love her to death. Like the others have said - get the Maverick from Todd

Grandpa Jim, Welcome.... I think you are gettin' the idea... you have enrolled in the grandpa forum... who else has time to smoke food all day... you will find some great folks here with really really good recipes... soon you will be wanting a meat grinder and probably a sausage stuffer and probably a meat sllicer and and and and..... everyone here will help you with you new addiction..

Anyway, glad you found this place... sit back, relax, and enjoy the long smokey ride... Dave

Thanks to everyone!  Have ordered the Recipies, sounds like I would have been a fool not to.  Will get the ET-732 when the next VA check arrives.  Then watch out this old Grandpa is going to be smoken big time.

Grandpa Jim, Welcome.... I think you are gettin' the idea... you have enrolled in the grandpa forum... who else has time to smoke food all day... you will find some great folks here with really really good recipes... soon you will be wanting a meat grinder and probably a sausage stuffer and probably a meat sllicer and and and and..... everyone here will help you with you new addiction..

Anyway, glad you found this place... sit back, relax, and enjoy the long smokey ride... Dave
Dave is so right. My x-mas list is everything he said you will want !
Well worth the money for the recipiles.
Almost forgot . WELCOME !!!!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky