Senior Newbie

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by grandpa jim, Oct 7, 2011.

1. grandpa jim

grandpa jim Fire Starter

Just bought my first smoker and enjoying it but need a lot of help.  Found this site and getting a lot of good ideas.  Thanks.  See a lot of posts saying cook with themp instead of time.  What is the best type of digital to get?  Do you think it is worth the price for Jeff's Receipies.  Thanks again, will be watching for some answers and suggestions!

2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

3. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
  4. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Welcome aboard, Jim!

Good luck and good smoking.

5. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

All good suggestions above. The ET732 is really handy in monitoring both pit and food temps, and the alarm has saved me a time or 2 when I dozed off and my temps needed attention.

What kind of smoker did you get?

What have you smoked so far/are planning to smoke?

Good luck and have fun reading here for a day or two!!

And welcome to SMf.

6. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Welcome I am an old guy also....

7. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Me too Roller!

8. [​IMG]

I have been doing a lot of research on the digital thermometers myself. I would spend the extra $30 and get the ET-732 over the old model ET-73. Looks like people had a lot of trouble with range with the older model (300ft vs 100ft) and it would not let you know if it lost communication with the transceiver like the ET-732 does. Amazon has it reasonably priced as well with free shipping and no tax.

9. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Welcome Jim!!!

Seems there are a lot of us Old Guys Here.

That proves smoking meat isn't bad for you!

Bear

10. scooper

scooper Smoking Fanatic

Welcome Grandpa Jim!  I'm a grandpa too, but I'm only 49.  [​IMG]

As others have stated, the ET-732 is a really handy therm.  Knowing the smoker temp keeps you from peeking all the time and losing your heat.  The alarms are great.

Jeff's rub gave me the starting point to tweak it to my taste.  Highly recommended as a good rub!

11. Welcome Jim, Great Grandpa here at 60.

Agree ET-732 is the best and absolutely on Jeffs receipies.

Surf the forum, ask questions, everyone here is always ready to give there opinions.

12. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Welcome Jim - I have a few years on most of the gradpas here. I have a 22 year old grandaughter. Love her to death. Like the others have said - get the Maverick from Todd

13. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Grandpa Jim, Welcome.... I think you are gettin' the idea... you have enrolled in the grandpa forum... who else has time to smoke food all day... you will find some great folks here with really really good recipes... soon you will be wanting a meat grinder and probably a sausage stuffer and probably a meat sllicer and and and and..... everyone here will help you with you new addiction..

Anyway, glad you found this place... sit back, relax, and enjoy the long smokey ride... Dave

14. grandpa jim

grandpa jim Fire Starter

Thanks to everyone!  Have ordered the Recipies, sounds like I would have been a fool not to.  Will get the ET-732 when the next VA check arrives.  Then watch out this old Grandpa is going to be smoken big time.

15. jrod62

jrod62 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Dave is so right. My x-mas list is everything he said you will want !
    Well worth the money for the recipiles.
    Almost forgot . WELCOME !!!!!!!

16. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

[​IMG]

17. bluebombersfan

bluebombersfan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

18. michael ark

michael ark Master of the Pit

[​IMG]

19. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

[​IMG]

20. jc1947

jc1947 Smoking Fanatic

Truer words were never spoken....er typed.

JC1947