Sending out an SOS ...........................Sista Josie needs some help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A good heavy cleaver with a sharp edge and you'd be done with all 144 in under 10 minutes. The hardware store in my neighborhood has old hickory cleavers for around $15. I'm sure you could get an even better deal at a restaurant supply store.

You dont usually cut the bone off the chicken drum when you make a chicken lollipop.

All you do is  cut around the bone just above the knuckle. remove everything from around the knuckle so you are left with a clean bone.

hold the drum in 1 hand and with a sharp boning knife cut around the bone between the end of the pin bone and the knuckle. the skin and cartilage will clean off easily and when you cook the drum the meat will turn into a lollipop. 

if he has a band saw you can clean and sanitise it well with 1oz bleach in 4lt of water before and after, I've used them in the past fro meat, essential the same as a meat saw but a meat saw is designed to be hosed down and a slightly different blade.

I do have a good sharp and heavy cleaver in my tool kit for such times, they do a great job!
Yes I am aware you don't cut the knuckle bone off  and yes I know how to trim a chicken leg for lollipops.  I am just looking for a tool of some sort that would make that cutting process go a little faster that's all.  Not looking to completely cut off the knuckle bone.  I was checking out my husband's work shop and yes he does have a band saw (and lots of other saws) they all look pretty intimidating - might have to just cut these lollipops like I have been doing...........thanks for your info madman mike.

Bang on. if you have a good proper butcher boning knife or a stiff filet knife. after a few youll get in  a groove. speed is all the right knife and how you use it.

do them all in batch steps. cut all or a portion then remove the skin off the bone on all then remove the tendons all at the same time.

that will speed up the process more than anything.

and DAMN!!! I got to make me some of those!!!
lol Mike - yup you should make you a batch!  thanks again for all your info.  Will sharpen up my knives and away I go.  Sorry for the misunderstanding - everyone thought I was looking for a way to cut the end bone off - that's NOT want I wanted to do.  I just wanted to find a SPEEDY way of trimming these bad boys that's all. The order just changed to 172 lollipops
yahoo.gif
By the time I trim the first 100 the rest should go pretty darn quick lol......  Josie

Is this procedure faster than yours? This is the way I do them, the bone doesn't get cut...JJ

Hey JJ - not looking to cut the knuckle bone off - just a faster way of trimming 172 lollipops that's all.  the number changed since yesterday ;o)

p.s is that you in this video my friend??

Last edited:

im thinking a Dremel would be your best bet. Bits are small and can easily be taken off and sanitized after each use 
hmmm a Dremel??? I found that tool in Jerry's toolbox with 6 different attachments.  One looks like a tiny saw blade. I tried the mini saw blade and it cut through the SKIN and all the tendons in a second leaving me with a nice clean bone (with the knuckle still attached).  That's the solution I was looking for a way to quickly trim my lollipops.  Thanks dougmays - that is a great idea that is going to workout just fine for me.  Might have to record my process!  Jerry's Dremel is now my dedicated "lollipop trimmer"   I bet he is looking down from heaven saying, "Come on babe, you're using my Dremel for what ????" lol.  Thanks again dougmays!

Josie

Reactions: dougmays
A tube cutter that has replaceable razor might work. You can find them fairly cheap, and if the blade gets dull you just pop in a new razor. Most are plastic and would be easy to clean, plus the benefit of a new blade when needed.

Hey JJ - not looking to cut the knuckle bone off - just a faster way of trimming 172 lollipops that's all.  the number changed since yesterday ;o)

p.s is that you in this video my friend??
No, not me in the Video, see below. I didn't think you wanted to cut the Bone but thought I would post the video to make sure. The Dremel is a Great idea. I would use a large enough Ziptop Bag that you can put the tip through one corner but the rest of the tool is covered loosely. This will keep the Dremel clean while still allowing air to the motor for cooling...JJ

Dean Wormer said, " Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life, Son..." So, I try to avoid Stupid...
biggrin.gif

View media item 80100

No, not me in the Video, see below. I didn't think you wanted to cut the Bone but thought I would post the video to make sure. The Dremel is a Great idea. I would use a large enough Ziptop Bag that you can put the tip through one corner but the rest of the tool is covered loosely. This will keep the Dremel clean while still allowing air to the motor for cooling...JJ

Dean Wormer said, " Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life, Son..." So, I try to avoid Stupid...
biggrin.gif

View media item 80100
thanks JJ - Dean Wormer's quote is too funny :o)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky