Second attempt at curing bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great. Cherry mixed with pecan is my mix for most cured meats. The cherry brings the color and the pecan brings flavor. I’m watching to see how the fry test goes.

Reactions: Pit pixie and DougE
Love that color the cherry gives bacon and smoked sausages. Nice job, and awaiting a cut shot and the final taste results.

Reactions: Pit pixie
Um......I cannot believe how well this has turned out.
It tastes beautiful. Like a top quality shop bacon.
I just need to find my own flavor now.

20220918_084140.jpg
20220918_084145.jpg
20220918_084439.jpg
20220918_084740.jpg
Thank you so much for everyone's advice I wouldn't of been able to do this without any of you.

Attachments

• 20220918_084503.jpg
    20220918_084503.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220918_084740.jpg
    20220918_084740.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 5
Looks great!
Flavors in bacon is kinda tough. While you can impart some subtle flavors it’s difficult to get them to shine through. Salt and sweet are about it. I use white pepper and granulated garlic, we like it but again in a thin slice of bacon it’s hard to taste in a big way.

Anyway, congratulations on your bacon. Keep us posted when you make more.

Thanks guys.

Can you flavor the meat with different flavor sugars?

Maple sugar would add a maple flavor?

I would like to try sweet with a little heat after taste, any ideas?

Thanks guys.

Give it all a go. I find it very difficult to get flavors like maple to really come through, though there, they are very faint. Really I just get the sweet from them. As far as heat goes you can use Chile powder or cayenne and I find it best to reapply these flavors after curing but before smoking. In the end it’s all great bacon anyways.

Thanks guys.

Best way I have found to get maple flavor on bacon is to literally spray real maple extract on the bacon, then hang in refrigerator to dry before the next cold smoke session. Do this 2-3 times and you will taste maple...

. As far as heat goes you can use Chile powder or cayenne and I find it best to reapply these flavors after curing but before smoking. In the end it’s all great bacon anyways.
I think I will try cayenne powder.
I added it to some beef gravey for the heat after taste and work well.

Can you add more 'flavor' during curing?

Best way I have found to get maple flavor on bacon is to literally spray real maple extract on the bacon, then hang in refrigerator to dry before the next cold smoke session. Do this 2-3 times and you will taste maple...
I added
16635217751437473290445792941719.jpg

Before I put the belly in the smoker.
I thought it would help the smoke stick to the meat and also help in the browning process when frying off.

Two products I have read about but not used for maple flavor, that many people say they have had good success with are:

Mapleine maple flavoring

The other is Cook’s pure maple extract.

Beautiful looking bacon. As others have said, spices other than salt and sugar aren't going to penetrate the meat much past the surface. When you add spices other than salt and sugar, they just lay on the surface and as thin as bacon is sliced, you aren't getting much additional flavor per slice.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky