seasoning new smoker

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by kmadson, Mar 2, 2008.

1. kmadson

kmadson Fire Starter SMF Premier Member

Will be getting new camp chef Smoke vault smoker soon, all info on seasoning it would be most appreciated. Thought I had better ask in this section as I did over in the pork area about doing Fattys etc. [​IMG] KM

2. desertlites

desertlites Master of the Pit OTBS Member

wash that baby out with some soap & water to get residual oil off- than wipe the inside with Evoo and fire it up -than some smoke-depends but I might do twice just for me.

3. lc in va

lc in va Meat Mopper

directions should be with your smoker. What I would do is if you know what your favorite wood is just use that, fire it up as if you were going to smoke something and let it smoke with no food in it for a couple of hours than let it cool complete. If you do not know what your favorite wood is I would recommend hickory. My personal favorite is cherry.

4. lc in va

lc in va Meat Mopper

would not recommend soap

5. kmadson

kmadson Fire Starter SMF Premier Member

Well I'll try this again not sure why my reply to you didn't go, hope this one does :eek:) Thanks for the info on seasoning smoker

6. kueh

kueh Meat Mopper

All I did was operate my GOSM with some chips for an hour. I did wash the grates by hand first. Had a sniff afterwards. No off-smells. OK to go.

If I got a new smoker, I'd pressure wash it first. Probably at a carwash. No wax though [​IMG]

7. desertlites

desertlites Master of the Pit OTBS Member

ya alot of us will wash the oils out with a Mild detergent-let dry and burn off-others do as they think best!

8. redingtonb

redingtonb Newbie

I am presently seasoning a Masterbilt 7in1. Instructions indicate to coat inside of smoker with vegetable oil, then heat to 200 F, add wood, and maintain 2-4 hours. Cool, wipe down, then coat again with vegetable oil. Ready to smoke!