Seasoning cast iron?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Inscrutable

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 4, 2019
NC
Last time I seasoned in the house (withflaxseed oil) it produced an unpleasant acrid odor. Maybe switching to canola would help, but …

What do you think about seasoning on the pellet pooper? I wonder if the smoke will interfere with the polymerization process? I doubt the cast iron would retain a flavor and transmit to future cooks (but might be ok depending on the cook).

Anyone try it?

The only thing I have ever seasoned any cast iron with is good old-fashioned Crisco. Everything else is a cheap shortcut that is not as good.

Grandma was NOT wrong.
I agree, I use Crisco as well and use my Gas Grill to set the seasoning.
I am sure that as long as the pellet pooper can hold temps at least 400 it should work.

- Jason

I agree, I use Crisco as well and use my Gas Grill to set the seasoning.
I am sure that as long as the pellet pooper can hold temps at least 400 it should work.

- Jason

Had it at 450 for wings yesterday, and supposed to get to 700 … much better (and more accurate) than kitchen range.

Going to try on a couple, use and see. Think eggs will be the litmus test for taste. Can always strip and start over.

I use grapeseed oil, and it works very well. Was told that by a friend that buys and sells a ton of cast iron. But not sure it's a big issue...if done properly almost any oil would work.

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
The only thing I have ever seasoned any cast iron with is good old-fashioned Crisco. Everything else is a cheap shortcut that is not as good.

Grandma was NOT wrong.
Nothing wrong with Crisco, but I have had good results with flax seed oil. Definitely not a cheap shortcut. Lots of information out there on options.

I believe people use Flaxseed oil and Grapeseed oil because it has a higher burn temperature than Crisco. At least that's what I was told by some people that use and restore a lot of cast iron cookware

I wouldn't think you'd want to season with Crisco past 360F...
1659593828592.png

Mineral oil. Very High burn point, won't go rancid or get sticky. No odor. Just make sure it is 100% pure with no added scent. It's what all the championship jambalaya cooks use here...along with most everyone else.

*edit to add- the mineral oil is only used on a pot that already has a good carbon patina on it. To get that patina, lard is universally used here. Most just fry up a big batch of cracklins which seasons the pot at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: bill1
The "smoke point"?

When I am frying something I use peanut oil, because it has a "high smoke point."

When I season cast iron or carbon steel frying pans, I use Crisco, because the finished seasoning it tougher and easier to maintain - I don't have to baby it or re-season it all the time.

Flaxseed oil (a fad for a while) turns black faster, but is too delicate (i.e. falls off and needs re-seasoning - especially on carbon steel) for my liking.

In my experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: smokebuzz
I have been using avocado oil because of the higher burn point. I think I saw Kent Rollins mention it.
Yes - that's what I've been using. It never seems to be promoted by manufacturers and yet it seems to be an obvious choice. I've never heard of any drawbacks.

Edit: Down below there's an OP titled "My Way...." and his advice seems sound.

Last edited:
Reactions: clifish
I wouldn't think you'd want to season with Crisco past 360F.

You don't want to cook with oils above there smoke point.

But to season iron; yes, you absolutely need to go above the smoke point.
That's when polymerization happens. The seasoning on iron is a bit like a natural, high temperature, plastic coating. To make the plastic coating, you need cooking oil, high heat, and oxygen.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky