seasoning a GOSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Deer Meat

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 8, 2006
Southwest Pennsylvania
Hello,

I just picked up a Gosm big block for $70.00. gander mountain was clearing out for the new models.

my question is to season do you brush with peanut oil and let it cook at 400 deg.

thanks

As I recall the instructions book that came with my GOSM said to simply fill the water pan and wood box and fire it up and let it smoke for an hour or so. I don't remember anything about 400 degrees. You may need to empty and refill the cast iron wood box if the smoke stops before the time you choose. Be carefull that box is real hot. I use long handeled pliers to manipulate the cast iron box when it is hot.

Hope this helps.

Meowey

Thanks meowey

The smoker I got was a display model that did not come with a owners manual. And I read in here somewhere that when you build a wood smoker you season it by baking oil into (or onto I guess) the metal.

thanks again

deer meat

Goodness! That like 60% off! :shock:

Great deal DEER MEAT. 8)

You need to fire up the smoker and let it run for a while to cure the paint on the inside. You may smell an "off" odor for an hour or two which is normal. Wait until after the odor is completely gone before doing anything else.

Seasoning is to protect exposed bare metal from corroding and will extend the life of your smoker. As pleasant side benefit of seasoning is that it helps flavor the foods cooking in the smoker and it smells fantastic.

Seasoning a GOSM smoker is optional since the inside of the unit is painted or chrome plated. However, I would recommend that you season it anyway for reasons mentioned above, after the necessary break-in period.

I don't think you need to crank it all the way up to 400° while seasoning because at those temperatures your smoke wood would most likely bust into flames instead of smoking.

When seasoning, keep the coats of oil as thin as possible and put on 2 or 3 coats to give it a good base. Allow 30 minutes to an hour between coats (like you would with paint
wink.gif
) so that the thin layers have a chance to bind to the surface and absorb some smoke.

Have lots of fun and good food with your new smoker! :D

Here is what the manual says:

To season your smoker, simply use it as you normally would; only do not cook any food. You
will need to follow all of the operating procedures in the next few sections of this manual.
Using your desired flavoring woods and marinades, burn your smoker at low temperature
(around 125°F [50°C]) for 45-60 minutes. Let the smoker cool, and clean out the used water
and wood.
Once seasoning is complete, your smokerâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s interior will have a durable, seasoned coating.

Thanks alot, you guys have been very helpful. I was wondering if I could download the manual for this smoker? I cannot seem to find a direct website for great outdoors smokey mountain.

I'm sure I will have more questions in the future.\

Thanks
DEER MEAT

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky