Searzall or not ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Winterrider

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 29, 2018
North Dakota
Is a searzall worth it or not ( reviews say quite slow) ? Up here in the North country I have a hard time getting the grill up to high enough temps for a quick sear. Like the cast iron pan, or broiler but kinda smoked up the house even when using avocado oil.

I love mine. It's the only way I can get a really good sear inside my apartment without setting off the smoke alarm.

I'm not sure what type of grill your using, but my kettle can get plenty hot to sear a steak. I usually use it in conjunction with the vortex. Indirect then sear - it doesn't matter what season I grilling in. As far as the searall, I've never used one so I can't speak to how well it works. Sorry.

Chris

Had mine for a couple of years. Does quick work of prime ribs and such. And won't cook the meat underneath like a searing skillet will if you're not careful. So no gray ring around the meat

I have been just using a torch to sear with , after many attempts at other methods I have found the torch is the best cause it sears the meat without cooking anything under the surface. The searzall just makes the whole process much easier. Yes they are a little pricey, but in my opinion they are well worth the $75.
Al

Agreed with Al: after trying several methods to sear my stakes (skillet and grill) I found that using a torch is the best.
Like Winterrider, I am still debating with myself if I should buy searzall adapter for my torch. Does it worth to spend $70-75? It's probably does IMO, but will wait for sale...

I use my torch... It is on a hose connected to the small propane tank so I don't get propane spitting out on the meat... Works good...
61TeD-QV0%2BL._SX569_.jpg

upload_2018-12-17_8-39-57.jpeg

Reactions: chopsaw
I'm not much of a sears guy, Our Sear's closed.
But I do know a lot of Chef's use a smaller butane or propane torch to do a finish sear.
Makes sense to me because it gives you absolute control of the process.
My "Camp Match" is a torch just like what Dave shows, but I just screw mine on a green 1 pound fuel bottle.

Admittedly, my torch get's used the most for starting my AMNPS, or charcoal if I'm using it.

As a side, the torch works really good to solder pipes, too....

Edit In:
For those who do sear with a torch...
Ever thought about pressing a cool, non-heated, grate to your meat then searing to get a reverse sear marks?
Could be interesting, broad seared lines with smaller unseared grill marks.
(Always thinking outside the box. Because I never was allowed in the box.)

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky