Searing skin on whole hog?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Shane C.

Original poster
Feb 14, 2018
Hi, I am going to try cooking a small whole hog (20 lbs) in my new Memphis Elite pellet grill this weekend.

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck searing the pig skin after a low/slow cook using a cooking torch. I have a torch for when I sous vide cook and it is much stronger than those little creame brûlée torches.

Any thoughts on this approach? I love good crispy pig skin and hate to miss an opportunity here.

Thanks!

I would assume you have scraped it clean. Is it on a rotisserie? Just a constant rotation over the heat will crisp pretty well.Just swab a little high temp cooking oil on it from time to time that will help.

Shane then cook skin side down for the most part something 15 to 20 mins down 10 min up swab with oil every rotation.
Torch yes if skin is not were you want it when things are done....Next time might be better to skin and cook meat and skin separately. I always had an open pit and rotisserie. Or Luau style buried in ground (works great for bigger hogs).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky