searching for smithflield country ham slices or alternative.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I used to get those here in Idaho. Kind of went away from them and haven't gotten them in a while. May have to check and see if they are still in the store. Used to fry mine up and then simmer them in some BBQ sauce.

Ended up having to go to wally world yesterday while there I went over to where the pork was found a lot of Smithfield products but not the slices of ham we used to get

I looked at Harris Teeter the other day and all they had was some off brand from NC. I'm going to sprawl mart In a little while... we'll see what they have.

This got me thinking about trying to come up with a substitute , or something reasonably close .
I bought a fully cured and smoked ham steak . Weighed it out and rubbed it down ( both sides ) with kosher salt at 2 % . Then I vac bagged and in the fridge . I think 2 weeks .
Temps dropped , so I pulled it out and wiped the surface , didn't rinse or soak .
Put it in the MES 30 with a 6" tube of comp pellets . No heat . Heavy smudge of smoke about 3 hours .
Pulled it about an hour ago , and had to have a taste .
Now I won't sit here and say it's like country ham .
I will say it's salty
I will say it's smoky .
I will say it's really pretty good .
Put it in a zip lock and gonna let it sit in the fridge a few days .
This is the end result , out of the smoker .
1668801514750.jpeg

This got me thinking about trying to come up with a substitute , or something reasonably close .
I bought a fully cured and smoked ham steak . Weighed it out and rubbed it down ( both sides ) with kosher salt at 2 % . Then I vac bagged and in the fridge . I think 2 weeks .
Temps dropped , so I pulled it out and wiped the surface , didn't rinse or soak .
Put it in the MES 30 with a 6" tube of comp pellets . No heat . Heavy smudge of smoke about 3 hours .
Pulled it about an hour ago , and had to have a taste .
Now I won't sit here and say it's like country ham .
I will say it's salty
I will say it's smoky .
I will say it's really pretty good .
Put it in a zip lock and gonna let it sit in the fridge a few days .
This is the end result , out of the smoker .
View attachment 648890
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing your process!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky