Searching an Offset

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dean1992

Original poster
Jul 20, 2022
Hey guys,
im new in this forum here and I’m from Germany . I’ve been looking for an offset smoker . I have an pellet smoker but I want it more traditional. So im new in this. What you think about
Workhorse, mill scale , fatstack, tmg or hellbender?
Maybe you now some other good manufacturers?
I don’t need that much space in the smoker . It’s only for the backyard .
I prefer a good quality of the smoker.

Dean

I haven't heard of some of those you mentioned. Mil Scale is the trendy one right now as all the Texas BBQ U Tube guys are using and promoting them. Lone Star Grillz is one you might want to look at and he will build to your specs. All I've ever cooked on are offsets. After having a number of them a couple things I would not do without. A top and front loading door on the firebox. It is so much easier loading wood and adjusting your fire from the top than having to bend over or get on your knees to load and poke the fire. I use the front door for ash removal only.

A fire box that has adjustable vents on three sides. On those hot humid days with little to no breeze when fires are stubborn about staying going you want to catch the slightest breeze from whatever direction it comes from. If you have to crack the door open for proper air flow it's not designed properly. Secondly I like cabinet doors over the large doors with counterweights. Often times watching guys lift open those big doors it almost forms a vacuum which sucks all the smoke and heat right behind it. I have a 125 gallon cabinet offset that has two doors. I only need to open one at a time. If I do it slowly I lose little to no smoke or heat. I like tuning plates and a traditional offset. I've never cooked on a reverse flow so I can't speak from direct experience but a educated guess tells me I don't see and advantage to reverse flow over a well designed offset with tuning plates.

Best of luck to you in your search and welcome to the forum!

Reactions: dean1992
Hi Dean, no info about your search for a grill, but wanted to say welcome to the forum from Minnesota! Enjoy your time here.

Welcome Dean, good to have you here. There many good quality offsets available and you can't really go wrong with any of them as long as they're ¼" or thicker steel. I have a TMG Copperhead, but others to look at would be Lone Star Grillz, Lang, Shirley Fab, Bell Fab just to name a few. The one thing you will run into with customs is the wait time. Most backlogs are months with some, such as Shirley, being a couple of years. Just something to consider in your research...

We visited my wifes sister in Magdeburg, they bbq on an offset, i can ask her where and what they got.

Welcome from NC.
If you're in Germany whatever you get is going to be pricy to ship over there from the states
In now, but the Vater of my wife has a company in Ohio and can maybe ship the smoker to me .
Welcome from NC.
If you're in Germany whatever you get is going to be pricy to ship over there from the states
Are you still in Germany ? Or here in the states now ?
Hey,
now I’m in Germany but in September and October we have our honeymoon in Florida :)

Welcome from NC.
Hey ,
i know :/
My father in law can maybe ship the smoker with his container to Germany . He has a company in Ohio and ship wood to us in Germany .

Here's one you should look at.

And some more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky