sear box vs charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

its a gas

Original poster
Oct 3, 2020
Bay area Cali.
Been using my first pellet smoker since November. Previously, Ive used the charcoal grill for just about everything, Since some thinner meats need to be seared, Is it worth getting a sear box along with smoking.

I do love the flavor of the briquets, so Im not sure if would be gaining anything with a sear box then smoking the cut. But like I say, Im a newb at this

Reactions: imhungrymk
A Sear Box is not going to give the Charcoal Flavor. Smoking meat Low and Slow then finishing on a Sear Box is good, but still it will be different from Charcoal Searing.
The sear box is convenient and quick to get going. Charcoal has better flavor but can be time consuming lighting and getting up to sear temp...JJ

No magic with a sear box, same thing as a gas grill ymmv

Been using my first pellet smoker since November. Previously, Ive used the charcoal grill for just about everything, Since some thinner meats need to be seared, Is it worth getting a sear box along with smoking.

I do love the flavor of the briquets, so Im not sure if would be gaining anything with a sear box then smoking the cut. But like I say, Im a newb at this
You should look at the recteq b380 bullseye. It is kinda like a weber but with pellets. I am every happy with mine.

I use a charcoal chimney to sear. Easy and Works very well, perfect flavour.

26CAEF83-E808-47AE-B356-D7803BD6F49A.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky