Sealing the Doors and Leaks on Silver Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

agmeyer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 9, 2008
Sedalia, MO
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

I must have got lucky because I am not very skilled at these things. I took some Rutland's High Temperature Silicone Sealant for woodburning stoves and chimneys and laid a bead around where the doors rested. I first had washed the new smoker, then rinsed with fresh water, and let dry. Then I laid a bead of silicone where the doors rested and sprayed the actual doors with PAM and let dry some, then simply closed the doors, and then waited 24 hours. I am shaky so the beads were not perfect; but they did the job, and now I get to fire test the rig. But this is a simple task if I can do it. I also did the inside corners of the firebox so I can better control the air intake. I don't know how to post pictures; and they probably wouldn't look good anyway. Semper Fi and Good Smokes.
PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif

watch your silicone! it becomes very fragil. i had mine crack and start coming off after the 4th smoke in my chargriller pro. ive since changet the mods and it is so much better especially for handeling the bumps in the road as i drive to catering jobs.

PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
My silicone on the firebox is not going to work; but on the smoking chamber seems to be OK. I am going to give the gasket cement and the fiberglass rope gaskets a go. Hope this helps someone else. I may have to pop rivet or fasten it some other way; but cement is the next trial and effort.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Sorry I said silicone and meant gasket cement. I just took 1/4" by 3/4" flat fiberglass gasket material and cemented it to the smoke box and attached the fire box onto the smoke box as directed in the directions. my fiber glass gasket is attached all the way around the outside of the smoke box with flat steel stock, but the back and its attached on the lid in the back with 4 bolts and washers on the inside so it can keep its maximum expansion between the lid and the back of the box.

Id post pictures but, i still cant figure it out and have pics on my yahoo group but all i get is the link not the pic. HELP!

I bought a kit for a wood stove with fiberglass rope in it. I want to seal around my door on my off set. I worry now though because the warnings say "do not let come into contact with food" Is this stuff safe on a smoker?

icon_question.gif

icon1.gif

Added a seal to the clam shell cover on the my Chargriller firebox and what a difference in temp control. The temps are way more stable with the air only coming through the intake at the back of the basket.

Pre-drilled 4 holes in each edge of the opening, laid down a bead of high temp gasket adhesive (came with the gasket). Then used stainless rivets to secure the gasket into the adhesive and onto the box. Worked the head of the rivet through the braid and the shoulder of the rivet held the gasket nicely when attached. You also have to drill and rivet the ends of the gasket where they meet.

DSCN2753.JPG

DSCN2755.JPG

DSCN2752.JPG

Had to tweak the cover a little to get some clearance for the gasket. Did that with a 1/4" rod near the hinge and closed the cover giving it a slight bend.

DSCN2757.JPG

DSCN2759.JPG

Last but not least a little bungy action to keep it closed tight.
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

DSCN2751.JPG

The gasket looks pretty solid and should hold up. With a good seal on the firebox it can now be loaded without everything catching and driving the temps up.

I like to stay away from sealents though I did use it on my stack. I think you could use screws. I am not sure if sealent would hold it because it is springy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky