Scratch Made Pizza on the Weber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin' in AZ

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 13, 2019
Chandler and Show Low Arizona
So after trying unsuccessfully to purchase a bread maker (seems like they went the way of yeast, and toilet paper) I borrowed my mother in laws.

First thing I did was a pizza dough so I could do a scratch made pizza.

We have done them before with the tube stuff in the oven, but I wanted to do something a bit different.

I decided to do it in the Weber gasser.

I followed the recipe in the user manual/recipe book that came with it (if anyone wants it I can add it to this post).

Here is the dough on the pizza pan we typically use in the oven.
IMG_20200605_165533873.jpg

8 ounce can salt free tomato sauce, italian seasoning, and garlic
IMG_20200605_170005715.jpg

Then added Mozzarella cheese (as I read somewhere when doing it on the grill its better to have the cheese closer to the heat source to melt properly), turkey pepperoni, mushrooms, green peppers and caramelized onions.
IMG_20200605_170954318.jpg

And then on to the grill @425 (indirect heat)
IMG_20200605_171128547.jpg

And here it is after about 24 minutes
IMG_20200605_173529255.jpg

Off the grill and ready to slice.
IMG_20200605_173847000.jpg

And final shot...plated with a small salad!
IMG_20200605_174911958.jpg

I did rotate it half way through the cook to make sure it was done consistently all the way around.

It was really good, and per the boss (Sue) we are having it again this friday. :emoji_laughing:

Next time I am going to do it for 5 minutes less as I was going for a brown crust but it was just a bit too done.

Thanks for lookin'

John

Last edited:
Damn John...that's as good or better looking as any pizza I've seen here. Lots of nice looking ingredients that just jump off the screen at me. Excellent job!! Now if I could ever figure out how to make a round pizza crust I'd be off the ground and running. Mine are always misshapen and uglier than homemade sin. Great job my friend!!

Robert

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Damn John that's awesome man! That looks way better than any pizza that I have done on my gasser. Way better than any pie you would get delivered or done with the canned pizza dough. Big like my friend I think I am going to try it out your way this next time. Also glad you had a cold beverage to keep you hydrated!

Beautiful piece of work John, looks perfect, Like! I've been thinking of doing a pizza on my Weber with the pizza stone and charcoal, I don't have a gasser. I usually do mine in a 425º oven for 18 minutes, I'm figuring the Weber would be about the same. My only reservation would be wondering what kind of flavor the coals would impart to the dough, guess there's only one way to find out. RAY

My only reservation would be wondering what kind of flavor the coals would impart to the dough, guess there's only one way to find out. RAY

The pizza stone itself will protect the dough to a large degree from taking on too much of the charcoal flavor. You'll get a little bit but not over powering. I've eaten many pizzas cooked by a friend on his BGE using oak lump and it was wonderful!! I honestly don't think you could go wrong.

Robert

The pizza stone itself will protect the dough to a large degree from taking on too much of the charcoal flavor. You'll get a little bit but not over powering. I've eaten many pizzas cooked by a friend on his BGE using oak lump and it was wonderful!! I honestly don't think you could go wrong. Robert

Thanks for that Robert! Between this, the griddle coming tomorrow, and having to break in the CI pans my cooks are booked for about a month with all the leftovers I'm going to have to finish. RAY

• Wow
That looks amazing. Great job!

Dave
Thanks Dave!
That's a good looking pie!

Perhaps a pizza stone is in your future? They work great in gassers.
Thanks Stuart for the like, and I have already been looking at them online.... :emoji_laughing:

Damn John...that's as good or better looking as any pizza I've seen here. Lots of nice looking ingredients that just jump off the screen at me. Excellent job!! Now if I could ever figure out how to make a round pizza crust I'd be off the ground and running. Mine are always misshapen and uglier than homemade sin. Great job my friend!!

Robert
Thanks for the like Robert, thanks for the compliment, I was really surprised how well it turned out.

Damn John that's awesome man! That looks way better than any pizza that I have done on my gasser. Way better than any pie you would get delivered or done with the canned pizza dough. Big like my friend I think I am going to try it out your way this next time. Also glad you had a cold beverage to keep you hydrated!
Thanks for the like and nice comments brother!

John

So after trying unsuccessfully to purchase a bread maker (seems like they went the way of yeast, and toilet paper) I borrowed my mother in laws.

Fist thing I did was a pizza dough so I could do a scratch made pizza.

We have done them before with the tube stuff in the oven, but I wanted to do something a bit different.

I decided to do it in the Weber gasser.

I followed the recipe in the user manual/recipe book that came with it (if anyone wants it I can add it to this post).

Here is the dough on the pizza pan we typically use in the oven.
View attachment 448744

8 ounce can salt free tomato sauce, italian seasoning, and garlic
View attachment 448745

Then added Mozzarella cheese (as I read somewhere when doing it on the grill its better to have the cheese closer to the heat source to melt properly), turkey pepperoni, mushrooms, green peppers and caramelized onions.
View attachment 448746

And then on to the grill @425 (indirect heat)
View attachment 448747

And here it is after about 24 minutes
View attachment 448748

Off the grill and ready to slice.
View attachment 448749

And final shot...plated with a small salad!
View attachment 448750

I did rotate it half way through the cook to make sure it was done consistently all the way around.

It was really good, and per the boss (Sue) we are having it again this friday. :emoji_laughing:

Next time I am going to do it for 5 minutes less as I was going for a brown crust but it was just a bit too done.

Thanks for lookin'

John
Looks awesome! What's the fuel source on your grill?

Beautiful piece of work John, looks perfect, Like! I've been thinking of doing a pizza on my Weber with the pizza stone and charcoal, I don't have a gasser. I usually do mine in a 425º oven for 18 minutes, I'm figuring the Weber would be about the same. My only reservation would be wondering what kind of flavor the coals would impart to the dough, guess there's only one way to find out. RAY
Thanks Ray for the like and the nice comments amigo!

That's some good looking pizza John, I'm on my lunch hour and now I want pizza!!
Thanks Jim for the like and I can't wait until this friday to do another one!

Outstanding looking Pizza, John!!
Love It !!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
Thanks John for the like kind words my friend!

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky