Scrapple, French Bread, and Maple Syrup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bear

Another winner. I have seen the scrapple in loaves at the PA Dutch store down south
In Ephrata we used to make it with buckwheat flour in it.

Our old family recipe is 1lb sage, pepper, salt, 15lbs flour, 10ibs corn meal, 5lbs buck wheat flour this recipe is for the meat from 7 hogs (not the whole hog)

Warren

Looks Great, Never had Scrapple but i'll bet i'd like it (not much I don't like)

Like for sure
Gary

Thank You Gary!!
You almost had some Scrapple.
That day you visited us, We thought about making you some Scrapple, but since you can only fry a little at a time, I chose to make a Grill full of Pork Roll instead.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Breakfast, lunch, dinner, I'd love sitting down to that anytime Bear, even around midnight. Like, RAY

Thank You Ray!!
Yup---I like it any time too!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Yes sir another great meal by the Bear. That's way we do things around here thin and crisp.
A pointer on freezing scrapple if you freeze the whole block it becomes mealy and falls apart
when thawed.
Slice and freeze on a cookie sheet then bag it and fry as many slices as you want. Put right in
fry pan frozen.

Warren

Thank You Warren!!
I'll have to give that a try. Thanks.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Never had scrapple either . I looked for it at the place that carries the pork roll here . No go .
Always had butter and syrup on my french toast . Nice meal .

Thank You Rich!!
Hmmm, You would think Scrapple would be more available across the country than Pork Roll.
Maybe that's how we get even for not seeing "Tri Tips" around here!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Nice! I like scrapple but prefer Panhas.

either way, I like it sliced thin, fried very crispy, slathered in butter, and seasoned with salt and black pepper!

I’d take a few plates of that Bear! Scrapple is life for my family. Fond memories of my grandfather frying up slices on his cast iron pan. Crispy on the outside soft on the inside- it’s perfection.

I know what I’m cookin up this weekend.....

We love scrapple. We keep a pound in the fridge when things get busy and it's scrapple and waffles for dinner. We get rapa down here. Its a bit darker than yours. The local shops sell "Country pudding" and "Hog Pan" or "Pan Huas" its not even close. Both of the latter two are so very plain, at leats what they make out here locally

Only way I can get scrapple here is to make homemade. I did have some at a restaraunt in Portland Oregon. Theirs was made in house. No scrapple out West I guess

LOL--That's the way We get even with Tri Tips not making their way to SouthEast PA.

Bear

Dad made this for us every year. Remember it well and always loved it on a cold morning with eggs and bacon! See recipe in sig....

Yup---I have to agree---It's even better on those cold mornings with Eggs & Home Fried Taters.

Bear

Never had Scrapple or even seen it available around here. I will say the end product looks a whole lot more appetizing then the raw loaf. Kuddos my friend.

Point for sure
Chris

Oh yea! Fine looking breakfast Bear. I haven't had scrapple for a couple of years.....going to have to change that. Like

Thank You Denny!!
If you never had Hatfields Scrapple, try to find some!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Yum!! Scrapple is a favorite of mine! I still have a bunch of homemade left (I cut an 8lb block into slices and vac seal portions)

I’ve never had the hatfield brand, looks like it fries up good though!!

Now, I’m hungry and probably making it for breakfast tomorrow! Like!!

Thank You Xray!!
And for the Like.

Bear

French toast looks yummy, I would of added a little cinnamon to the egg mix though.
You can keep that scrapple! Never acquired a taste for scrapple, wife loves it, me not so much. Maybe if I put enough of maple syrup on it I might be able to eat it, not sure?

Looks good. Finding Scrapple here is hit or miss. Scrapple, Egg and Cheese sandwiches are good too...JJ

Yup---We always have it with Home Fries.
This is the first time I had it with French Toast & Maple Syrup, because I heard about it.
Not bad!! I'll do it again, but I still like it with Home Fries Best.

Bear

I tried it once barely made it to the trash can, That is my Honest Opinion
Richie
Oh My wife was right behind me LOL

Thank You Richie!!
I don't blame you, but it depends on the Scrapple.
I had some like you're talking about.
I had some from Barringer's that was terrible!! I didn't put any oil in the pan, and the scrapple ended up floating in the excessive Fat from the Scrapple.
You gotta try "Hatfield Scrapple" sliced thin & fried---I'm betting you'll love it.
Even Mrs Bear Loves it.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Bear,

Do not remember if I have had it when I lived down south (South Carolina and Southeast Florida), but I do remember it when I was a kid growing up in Cincinnati, it is called Goetta, somewhat different but similar, it is cut and fried for breakfast. Great with eggs over easy. But the french toast idea is one to try.

@Sowsage knows about it I believe, we talked about it in one of his posts. I found where I could get it online and a copycat recipe, just need to get some or make some. Thanks for the reminder.

LIKE!

John

See Below:

Goetta is pretty similar but made with oats instead of cornmeal. And I don't think it includes liver. But they are made using the same process I believe. Both are delicious in my book

See Below:

Here's more on "Hatfield Scrapple":

Details
Add a traditional american breakfast staple to your menu with this Hatfield 5 lb. scrapple. Great for any diner or breakfast cafe, pork-lovers will rave over its savory, rich taste with its soft center and crispy exterior. Serve as a side plate to scrambled eggs with sweet or savory condiments, like ketchup or maple syrup, or simply between two slices of white bread. You can even use it as the protein in your delicious egg and cheese sandwiches.

A testament to the american past, this scrapple is made with Pennsylvania Dutch-style recipe. It is made with a blend of finely minced quality pork ingredients that are combined with whole wheat, corn meal, and a blend of spices that is then formed into a loaf. Easy to cook, slice a recommended 1/4" thickness and pan fry over medium heat. Brown each side for 8-10 minutes, or until desired crispiness is reached.

Based in Hatfield, PA, Hatfield, a part of Clemens Food Group, is a sixth-generation, family-owned business that prides themselves on operating on a higher level of standard to ensure that they are not just another pork supplier in the industry. Their commitment to ethically raising their animals, integrity to their employees and customers, and sustainable practices result in the production of high quality pork products with great taste that you and your customers can trust. Hatfield, Clemens Food Group's flagship brand, delivers a full line of quality pork products that are backed by their Pork with a Pledge program, which ensures that all Hatfield pork is ethically raised without growth promotants, as well as with no added hormones or steroids. All of their pork comes from trusted American family farms, with a large percentage of their pork being locally sourced from Lancaster County farms, which allows them to have better control of humane animal practices and sustainability. With mindfulness becoming a rapidly increasing food trend, more and more consumers are looking to eat higher quality meat that aligns with their values. By serving your customers Hatfield, you can ensure you are serving your customers quality meat, while showing them you care about your recipe's ingredients.

Our traditional PA style Scrapple.
INGREDIENTS
Pork Stock, Pork, Water, Pork Liver, Pork Skin, Pork Hearts, Whole Wheat Flour, Pork Tongue, Salt, Buckwheat Flour, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Diacetate, Wheat Flour, Spices, Flavoring, Dextrose.
Contains Wheat.

Bear

Bear

Another winner. I have seen the scrapple in loaves at the PA Dutch store down south
In Ephrata we used to make it with buckwheat flour in it.

Yup--Hatfield has Buckwheat flour in theirs:
Hatfield contains: Pork Stock, Pork, Water, Pork Liver, Pork Skin, Pork Hearts, Whole Wheat Flour, Pork Tongue, Salt, Buckwheat Flour, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Diacetate, Wheat Flour, Spices, Flavoring, Dextrose.

And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Nice! I like scrapple but prefer Panhas.

either way, I like it sliced thin, fried very crispy, slathered in butter, and seasoned with salt and black pepper!

Thank You Bill !!
Yup, These don't need much seasoning added.
I used to sprinkle a little more salt on it, but since I quit adding salt to anything, I don't miss it on the Scrapple.

Bear

Reactions: bill ace 350
Thank You Bill !!
Yup, These don't need much seasoning added.
I used to sprinkle a little more salt on it, but since I quit adding salt to anything, I don't miss it on the Scrapple.

Bear
Yup. when I make Panhas, I dont add salt... Add to taste when it is ready to eat. I'm hungry. no time to make Panhas, will grab some scrapple.

I’d take a few plates of that Bear! Scrapple is life for my family. Fond memories of my grandfather frying up slices on his cast iron pan. Crispy on the outside soft on the inside- it’s perfection.

I know what I’m cookin up this weekend.....

Thank You JCap!!
LOL---The memories we have here are how Mrs Bear used to Fry Full pan after full pan of Scrapple, and I'd eat them as fast as she could slice, pan, and fry them.
Now I only eat one Pan of Scrapple for a meal. Back then I'd eat like a Pig, and keep a 32" waste.
Those days are over!

Bear

We love scrapple. We keep a pound in the fridge when things get busy and it's scrapple and waffles for dinner. We get rapa down here. Its a bit darker than yours. The local shops sell "Country pudding" and "Hog Pan" or "Pan Huas" its not even close. Both of the latter two are so very plain, at leats what they make out here locally

Thanks Rob!!
One of the advantages of living in this PA Dutch World around here.
They even have this Scrapple at local Restaurants with Eggs, as an option with Bacon, Ham or Scrapple.

Bear

Never had Scrapple or even seen it available around here. I will say the end product looks a whole lot more appetizing then the raw loaf. Kuddos my friend.

Point for sure
Chris

Thank You Chris---It's not actually Raw. They cook it all in huge batches when they make it.
However the only one I know who eats it without frying it is my Older Brother. That's pretty much disgusting, especially since I saw him eat that worst Scrapple I mentioned earlier, like that---Without frying it!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky