Scored some Wild Black Cherry wood...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Went to the deer camp to plant food plots, had a small black cherry tree that had fallen across one of the trails, about 8-9" dia. at the break in the trunk. So I cut it up for smoker wood. I could smell the cherry sap as I cut it into logs, going to be a great addition to my stash of wood!
IMG_20200919_155957.jpg

Man that looks good. I'm going back to camp next weekend to cut up a giant pecan that fell right near one of our stands. Should be a nice haul!

Reactions: indaswamp
I have em in my woods and have been smoking with wild black cherry for many years. Great smoking wood. Needs aging for a long time though. If a tree falls in a pasture and a cow eats the green leaves before they turn it can kill the cow. I know we not smoking with green leaves but you need to let it cure until real dry. Lots of info on the web about it.
Livestock poisoning possible from wilting black (wild) cherry ...
www.canr.msu.edu › news › livestock_poisoning_possibl...
Thanks for the info...I had known to let it age for a while, did not know the leaves could kill a cow.

I picked a limb off the trunk regrowth and scratched back the green bark.....sweet smell of cherry sap... Should be awesome smoke wood once it ages. Tree has been down since May according to the club president that lives on the property. So 2-3 more months aging and should be good to go...

Reactions: 73saint
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky