• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Scored some Wild Black Cherry wood...

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Went to the deer camp to plant food plots, had a small black cherry tree that had fallen across one of the trails, about 8-9" dia. at the break in the trunk. So I cut it up for smoker wood. I could smell the cherry sap as I cut it into logs, going to be a great addition to my stash of wood!
IMG_20200919_155957.jpg

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 1, 2019

73saint

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 8, 2017
Man that looks good. I'm going back to camp next weekend to cut up a giant pecan that fell right near one of our stands. Should be a nice haul!

HalfSmoked

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Nice find should be awesome smoking wood.

Warren

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Yea I agree, nice find!
Al

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
I have em in my woods and have been smoking with wild black cherry for many years. Great smoking wood. Needs aging for a long time though. If a tree falls in a pasture and a cow eats the green leaves before they turn it can kill the cow. I know we not smoking with green leaves but you need to let it cure until real dry. Lots of info on the web about it.
Livestock poisoning possible from wilting black (wild) cherry ...
www.canr.msu.edu › news › livestock_poisoning_possibl...
Thanks for the info...I had known to let it age for a while, did not know the leaves could kill a cow.

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Man that looks good. I'm going back to camp next weekend to cut up a giant pecan that fell right near one of our stands. Should be a nice haul!
Awesome! I'm still looking for some pecan....

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
I picked a limb off the trunk regrowth and scratched back the green bark.....sweet smell of cherry sap... Should be awesome smoke wood once it ages. Tree has been down since May according to the club president that lives on the property. So 2-3 more months aging and should be good to go...

HalfSmoked

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the like indaswamp it is appreciated.

Warren

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.