Schweinebauch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
All packed up

b9f359d0d789445e586d7d4df8f35e62.jpg

a36ae60c0f55fba509c2c4de43616e5e.jpg

Smoke away!!!

What in incredible thread and smoke. A new dish, great qview, lots of fun. Bravo!

Points for setting the bar higher.

Disco

I showed a picture of the stuffed bacon and my wife kinda just dropped her jaw and said "your going to learn to make that right"...yes ... yes I am

I showed a picture of the stuffed bacon and my wife kinda just dropped her jaw and said "your going to learn to make that right"...yes ... yes I am
Not a hard thing to make. Just takes time. Follow this thread and the bacon making thread and you'll be set!

Real nice job with that DS. Thought it's been a while, I've had Schweinebauch, or more appropriately, Gefuellte Schweinebauch, several times though I never had it mated with mortadella. Sounds like an excellent match, however. I've never attempted to make it myself, but your thread just may inspire me to do so.

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but it's a popular dish in restaurants and homes in Southwest Germany. Although you can stuff the belly with essentially anything that appeals to you, the most common version I've encountered is a belly stuffed with ground meat (typically veal), smoked ham chunks, chopped onion, spices, and herbs, predominately marjoram. Another big mover, especially around the Holidays, is stuffed with sauerkraut, and diced fruit such as pear, apple, etc.

Though a few leave it open as you did, it's typically stitched closed then braised over low heat for a few hours followed by a high heat sear to crisp it up. Your choice to smoke it seems ideal.

The mortadella from the chubs looks pretty darn good also.

Very nice job on all fronts. Congrats.

Real nice job with that DS. Thought it's been a while, I've had Schweinebauch, or more appropriately, Gefuellte Schweinebauch, several times though I never had it mated with mortadella. Sounds like an excellent match, however. I've never attempted to make it myself, but your thread just may inspire me to do so.

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but it's a popular dish in restaurants and homes in Southwest Germany. Although you can stuff the belly with essentially anything that appeals to you, the most common version I've encountered is a belly stuffed with ground meat (typically veal), smoked ham chunks, chopped onion, spices, and herbs, predominately marjoram. Another big mover, especially around the Holidays, is stuffed with sauerkraut, and diced fruit such as pear, apple, etc.

Though a few leave it open as you did, it's typically stitched closed then braised over low heat for a few hours followed by a high heat sear to crisp it up. Your choice to smoke it seems ideal.

The mortadella from the chubs looks pretty darn good also.

Very nice job on all fronts. Congrats.
Thank you! I considered stitching it up, but I couldn't find my trussing needle. The mortadella pairs well with it!

Well decide to try something different. The rye and mustard is really good. Why not do breakfast for dinner?

a2748cb694a8ea083fdb995dc6d53cf2.jpg

c829f508344c56a562aa2aeebf4f615d.jpg

06138186dfb4cc0e912f8b355a7d8126.jpg

Smoke away!!!

Probably time to make another hunk of this soon. Hmmm going to have to send the wife on a girls weekend!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky