School me on why I need cast iron frying pans.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I realize this is an old thread but in my humble opinion, nothing beats a beef chuck pot-roast browned nicely and cooked in a cast iron dutch oven, and a cast iron dutch oven is the only thing to make The Ultimate Chili in...

And they last a few lifetimes with proper care!
Yep, that's the only way I do a chuck now. I have an enameled D.O. so I brown it off in a C.I skillet.

I realize this is an old thread but in my humble opinion, nothing beats a beef chuck pot-roast browned nicely and cooked in a cast iron dutch oven, and a cast iron dutch oven is the only thing to make The Ultimate Chili in...

And they last a few lifetimes with proper care!
agreed!

20221008_080748.jpg

Got one started this morning.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Question was asked much earlier but I do not think it was answered. Why Cast iron VS Griddle? Sometimes you need to keep stuff contained which is harder to do on a griddle with some things like was posted here, stews chili, etc. Griddle cornbread pancakes work well for me though, more crust in every bite.

What are you missing? Nothing really. It's just different.

I grew up in a house where we had some cast iron skillets so I learned to enjoy them. If properly cared for they can be pretty well non-stick.

Some negatives are that: they are heavy, they require a little more care to clean and season, they heat unevenly, they will rust, and so on.

But I like using them. I can put a little ghee in a CI skillet and it will fry eggs like a non-stick pan.

You need to give CI a little extra time to heat up so the heat distributes or else the skillet will cook unevenly. You can see the burner pattern on pancakes if you haven't let the pan heat up properly.

Because they are so heavy my wife hates them. I love my CI cookware.

I buy Lodge CI. It's cheaper but still excellent quality and it will last forever! Ignore the comments about the inside of the pans not being smooth like the old, thin, coveted brands. Those little bumps inside Lodge pans season just like the rest of the pan and a fried egg will slide around like magic!

You may find this helpful. Notice that her new skillet is a Lodge.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky