School me on double smoked ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Newglide

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
NC
Was at the grocery store the other day and saw a smoked ham on sale and it got me thinking about a few posts I have read on here.
I was thinking about getting it and double smoking it.
Any trick to it?
Does smoking it again dry it out? I guess you would have a water pan in the cook chamber so not to dry it out.
Any wood do or stick to lighter

Essentially you are only heating the ham like you would in the oven before consumption. Only difference is you are adding a second layer of smoke. I usually smoke to a finished IT of 140-150. Also double smoking allows you to add additional flavors besides the extra smoke. It's a delicious method. Bearcarver Bearcarver has several post on this. Here's mine

Everybody has you covered on DS ham. The sentence below is what got my attention.

I guess you would have a water pan in the cook chamber so not to dry it out.

If you are ready to start moving beyond the meat mopper stage, misconceptions must be put aside. Here's your first: a water pan does nothing to keep a meat moist. That's what's called anecdotal thinking, ie, water equals moistness.

Water does help control chamber temp because it cannot get hotter than 212°F under standard conditions. Water does condense on colder meat causing more smoke to adhere, but then it evaporates, causing other issues. Can it keep a bark moist? Yes, but it does nothing for the interior muscle.

Meat gets it moistness in lazy muscles from internal fat and water already present. In hard-working muscles, it gets it moistness from melted collagen, the tough connective tissue resulting from movement and weight support.

Water and cooking have an interesting adverse relationship. For example, want a crispy, crunchy crust on bread, put steam in the oven.

Last edited:
Essentially you are only heating the ham like you would in the oven before consumption. Only difference is you are adding a second layer of smoke. I usually smoke to a finished IT of 140-150. Also double smoking allows you to add additional flavors besides the extra smoke. It's a delicious method. Bearcarver Bearcarver has several post on this. Here's mine
Thanks makes sense that it's the same idea as heating in the oven.
Felt kinda stupid after I read that I should have realized that. I'm good at over thinking

Everybody has you covered on DS ham. The sentence below is what got my attention.

If you are ready to start moving beyond the meat mopper stage, misconceptions must be put aside. Here's your first: a water pan does nothing to keep a meat moist. That's what's called anecdotal thinking, ie, water equals moistness.

Water does help control chamber temp because it cannot get hotter than 212°F under standard conditions. Water does condense on colder meat causing more smoke to adhere, but then it evaporates, causing other issues. Can it keep a bark moist? Yes, but it does nothing for the interior muscle.

Meat gets it moistness in lazy muscles from internal fat and water already present. In hard-working muscles, it gets it moistness from melted collagen, the tough connective tissue resulting from movement and weight support.

Water and cooking have an interesting adverse relationship. For example, want a crispy, crunchy crust on bread, put steam in the oven.
good info thanks.

I make my own hams but if I double smoke one I like to glaze it with a mixture of apricot jam mixed with soy sauce and granulated garlic, delicious.
Yeah I'm gonna have to give it a try. I like the glaze idea, maybe even some brown sugar and honey

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I double smoked an Aldi spiral cut ham a few weeks ago. Gave me a chance to make my glaze and the outer layer had a litttle crisp to it. Turned out great.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Was at the grocery store the other day and saw a smoked ham on sale and it got me thinking about a few posts I have read on here.
I was thinking about getting it and double smoking it.
Any trick to it?
Does smoking it again dry it out? I guess you would have a water pan in the cook chamber so not to dry it out.
Any wood do or stick to lighter
Double Smoked Ham???
Take your Pick:
Specialties:
Double Smoked Hams Times 4
Double Smoked Ham Twins
Double Smoked Ham
Double Smoked Spiral Sliced Ham

Double Smoked Ham & Beans

Bear

Good info above . I've done a store bought shank portion using Bear's steps .
Comes out really good .

maybe even some brown sugar and honey
This is a double smoked cured loin . I used brown sugar and honey for the glaze , then made a sauce from the ingredients shown . Mixed up by taste . I like preserves better than jam when doing these things . The sauce was really good .

I did, chose the second from the bottom...lol
IMG_3905.jpg

IMG_3909.jpg

I don’t know jack squat compared to every one else here but when I do a double smoked ham I mop it every 30 minutes with a bourbon honey mix and pull it at 140. I like cherry wood!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky