• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Scarbelly Wings for friends

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
If you want great chicken wings, check out this post.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/119306/scarbelly-wings-buffalo-style

I had friends in from Montana who have been very kind to me. I wanted to make an appetizer I was sure would be wonderful and Scarbelly Wings came to mind immediately. They are a great wing named after a great SMF member who is no longer with us.

I have changed the recipe marginally to meet tamer Canadian sensibilities.

I mixed 1/4 cup of Cajun Injection Creole Butter with 1/4 cup of Frank's Red Hot sauce. This is less hot sauce than the original recipe. I injected some of the sauce into each of 15 wing segments.

I poured the remaining sauce over the wings.

I used my own Creole Seasoning (see http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/253192/creole-burnt-ends) instead of the commercial seasoning in the original recipe. I sprinkled that over the wings.

I used a hotter temperature in my pellet smoker than the original recipe. I preheated it to 350 F and cooked the wings for 50 minutes, turning once.

Here is the finished product.

The Verdict

These were a great hit. There is a reason Scarbelly Wings are a staple on SMF. The skin was crisp, the spice was warm but not burning and the chicken was moist.

Disco

WaterinHoleBrew

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 18, 2013
Scarbelly wings are an awesome app Disco & yours look very tasty ! Nice cook my friend ! Thumbs Up

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Scarbelly wings are an awesome app Disco & yours look very tasty ! Nice cook my friend !
Thanks, Justin. They are a great smoke and I am very grateful for SMF for introducing me to them.

Disco

redheelerdog

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 4, 2011
Thanks for the idea Mr. D, I am going to try these. All people from Montana are nice! 

Keep up the good work my friend and Merry Christmas.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012

Thanks for the idea Mr. D, I am going to try these. All people from Montana are nice! 

Keep up the good work my friend and Merry Christmas.
Thanks, Red! I wish I did come up with these, they are brilliant!

As for people from Montana, I have been curling there and they have come here. I have met nothing but kind people of great wit and intelligence. No argument from me that they are nice!

I wish you a very merry Christmas and hope there is much joy in your New Year!

Disco

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
One of our favorite recipes!

Looks great Disco!

RIP Gary!
Sometimes I think we forget how much there is to learn on SMF and take it for granted. I love this smoke and think it is a great memorial to Gary.

Disco

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
You have me hungry for wings now!

Nice job Disco!

Al

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
Disco sorry for being late Busyyy 

I prefer thighs but will have to give wings a try some time

Merry Christmas form my house to yours

Richie

geezer

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 24, 2017
Oh hey, these look tasty. This is a different method than what I use (injecting sauce before cooking), I'll have to give this a try this spring. My wife and kids love BBQ'd chicken. 

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012

Oh hey, these look tasty. This is a different method than what I use (injecting sauce before cooking), I'll have to give this a try this spring. My wife and kids love BBQ'd chicken. 
I think you will like them. There is a reason they are so popular on the forums.

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 21, 2017
Not trying to drop in on a old thread but i was searching for a wing recipe for new years and i just found it! I'm doing half with franks and the creole butter injection and then the other half with sweet baby rays and the creole butter ( as an experiment)

HalfSmoked

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for bringing this up had not seen it before. There is so much info on this forum that one would proably never see it all.

Warren

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.