SAVORY BACON

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeitifugotit

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 27, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
We put up 15 lbs of bacon yesterday after a two week cure and 2 day airing out in the fridge. We like more of a savory style than sweet bacon and this turned out perfect. I normally use bay leaves and thyme in my cure recipe and decided to add juniper berries for the first time. Man am I glad I did that. The flavor of this batch is amazing. I used the Pitmaster blend for a 12 hour smoke and couldn't have been more pleased. If anyone's ever wondered about using the juniper berries in their bacon, I highly recommend it. Oh, yeah, I use AMNPS in my MES 30.:grilling_smilie:

Fred

this is from Len Poli's site

i have been making this back bacon for quite a few times. no complaints from anyone.... i use the brine to do what ever size loin im using..

actually started with this method before i even knew about this GREAT site  :0)

i dont use and have never looked for Fenugreek

Last edited:
this is from Len Poli's site
i have been making this back bacon for quite a few times. no complaints from anyone.... i use the brine to do what ever size loin im using..
actually started with this method before i even knew about this GREAT site  :0)
i dont use and have never looked for Fenugreek

I didn't think Canadian bacon was smoked. ??

YUP ..... do a search here on the site and its all smoked ...

many different brines, BUT all smoked, and i agree about the juniper berries, a unique flavor... up in the middle of no where where i live they are hard to come by. the health food shop carries them so i buy them out every now and then so if loins go on sale i have some in my cache of spices !!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky