Sausage grinder/stuffer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jonok

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 4, 2019
Michigan, and points north
Interested in making a couple hundred hot links every month or two. Is there a combined machine that will do the deed for a reasonable price, or do I need a dedicated grinder and a seperate stuffer?
Make a lot of breakfast sausage with my cuisinart, so don’t need too much advice about meat prep, but I know there’s a lot of guys around here who know a bunch more than I do😎

Making a “couple hundred” at a time, do yourself a favor and buy a stuffer. While it can be done with a good grinder, the quality of the links will be much better from the stuffer, and so much faster also.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Marianski makes it clear to get separate no matter what scale and to stick more $$$ into a stuffer than grinder. "A couple hundred" sounds like motorized stuffer to me.

For hundreds of pounds a month, I would recommend a motorized stuffer uless you will have help on a consistent basis, then a large manual stuffer is doable (except for snack sticks). How much money are you looking to spend?

Reactions: sawhorseray
It all depends on your batch size. 10 lbs a day for 30 days is 300 pounds and a number 12 or 20 size grinder with a 15 lb stuffer will serve you well. 100 lbs twice a month is only 200 lbs. Now you might want a # 32 grinder and at least a 25 pound stuffer (possibly motorized) unless you really enjoy packing a smaller stuffer and cranking that handle.
I agree with separate grinder and stuffer. Seems almost all the small grinders come with stuffing horns and such, but as with most dual purpose or multi purpose equipment best case it will excel at one thing but all short on the rest. In this case grinders suck at stuffing.

I’m talking a couple hundred links (probably 1/4lb each) every couple months. Not going into super commercial production, but I’m looking not to shoot myself in the foot.
A few hundred bucks one way or the other isn’t a deal buster, and I know that there are guys on here who know what they’re doing. I just wanna get the right stuff.

Last edited:
To me "couple hundred" = 200 * .25lbs = 50lbs. I have a Hakka knock off 7lb and really like. It does leaves a bit of meat in it but nearly all SS. Although it is stated for 7lb it is actually more like a 5lb stuffer IMO. This one looks good for about 25lbs.

I shoot enough deer that I’m good with hot link other dry sausage as a byproduct (my processor is a meat science professor and does a nice job for a reasonable price). I’m just looking at making hot links for a recurrent meeting of a bunch of guys every couple months. At this point, we have been doing a case of butts, a couple packers and buying links from a big box store and smoking to taste. I’m not thrilled with the sausage, an know I could do better. I appreciate the ongoing input. Id look forward to grinder suggestions as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky