• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Sausage grinder/stuffer

Jonok

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 4, 2019
Interested in making a couple hundred hot links every month or two. Is there a combined machine that will do the deed for a reasonable price, or do I need a dedicated grinder and a seperate stuffer?
Make a lot of breakfast sausage with my cuisinart, so don’t need too much advice about meat prep, but I know there’s a lot of guys around here who know a bunch more than I do😎

SmokinEdge

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Making a “couple hundred” at a time, do yourself a favor and buy a stuffer. While it can be done with a good grinder, the quality of the links will be much better from the stuffer, and so much faster also.

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
With that volume, trust us when we say to get a dedicated sausage stuffer....

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
Marianski makes it clear to get separate no matter what scale and to stick more $$$ into a stuffer than grinder. "A couple hundred" sounds like motorized stuffer to me.

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
For hundreds of pounds a month, I would recommend a motorized stuffer uless you will have help on a consistent basis, then a large manual stuffer is doable (except for snack sticks). How much money are you looking to spend?

mosparky

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 11, 2015
It all depends on your batch size. 10 lbs a day for 30 days is 300 pounds and a number 12 or 20 size grinder with a 15 lb stuffer will serve you well. 100 lbs twice a month is only 200 lbs. Now you might want a # 32 grinder and at least a 25 pound stuffer (possibly motorized) unless you really enjoy packing a smaller stuffer and cranking that handle.
I agree with separate grinder and stuffer. Seems almost all the small grinders come with stuffing horns and such, but as with most dual purpose or multi purpose equipment best case it will excel at one thing but all short on the rest. In this case grinders suck at stuffing.

Jonok

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 4, 2019
I’m talking a couple hundred links (probably 1/4lb each) every couple months. Not going into super commercial production, but I’m looking not to shoot myself in the foot.
A few hundred bucks one way or the other isn’t a deal buster, and I know that there are guys on here who know what they’re doing. I just wanna get the right stuff.

Last edited:

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
Is it always gonna be links ? or is there the possibility of snack sticks or small breakfast links ??

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
To me "couple hundred" = 200 * .25lbs = 50lbs. I have a Hakka knock off 7lb and really like. It does leaves a bit of meat in it but nearly all SS. Although it is stated for 7lb it is actually more like a 5lb stuffer IMO. This one looks good for about 25lbs. amazon" style="max-width:120px">

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
It does leaves a bit of meat in it

For this reason I would avoid stuffers that have the elbow/tube coming out of the very bottom of the can... Rather look for one with it coming out the side at the bottom...

Jonok

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 4, 2019
I shoot enough deer that I’m good with hot link other dry sausage as a byproduct (my processor is a meat science professor and does a nice job for a reasonable price). I’m just looking at making hot links for a recurrent meeting of a bunch of guys every couple months. At this point, we have been doing a case of butts, a couple packers and buying links from a big box store and smoking to taste. I’m not thrilled with the sausage, an know I could do better. I appreciate the ongoing input. Id look forward to grinder suggestions as well.

SmokinEdge

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2020
LEM Big Bite grinder #12 would be the smallest I would go. While there check out their stuffers too!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.