Sauerkraut Balls

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
These r a big hit around here

8 oz pork sausage. (I use smoked sausage that I had)
1/4 c fine chopped onions
14 oz drained kraut (chopped fine
2 Tbs dry bread crumbs
1 pkg softened cream cheese 8 oz
2 Tbs parsley
1 tsp yellow mustard
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 c flour

2 beat eggs
1/4 c milk

3/4 c dry bread crumbs

Oil for deep frying
BBD3D145-EA11-4FF0-90AF-B2B20A950417.jpeg
78992CE1-FADD-4CCD-AF01-65A843CCBDFA.jpeg
Fry sausage & onions until browned. Drain
25AAEF9B-FB60-49BE-B849-24BB6DC12DC2.jpeg
Chop kraut fine
1D3DD84A-41D9-4C50-B0DE-69CE43BC7BCC.jpeg
Mix kraut & sausage
E65A9E0E-225D-4F84-857D-0832A68C2FD2.jpeg
Mix next 6 ingredients
38926912-53EF-445A-B54A-A93AE1B04149.jpeg
Then mix the 2 together
019BBC7D-3E3B-4732-B837-50DE87FF5631.jpeg
Get the assembly line in order. Had to move to garage. There wasn’t enough room for me & my balls in kitchen. Roll in flour then milk & egg then bread crumbs
0474D013-4ACB-4160-B40A-CEE340ECDC87.jpeg
In the deep fryer at 375. Could do this on greased baking pan in oven at 375 for 15-20 minutes. I’ve never have so not sure of out come
8D7FFD71-2634-4E82-90EA-AEFADBF6C8F7.jpeg
Already to eat. Have to save rest for company coming later. Thanks for looking & Merry Christmas to all.

These used to be an Ohio thing and a MUST HAVE for Christmas parties. Started in Akron from memory. Around here everyone has their own spin on it. My aunts/familes uses corned beef instead of sausage. If you've never had them and they sound remotely good to you MAKE THEM as the are awesome. We do them New Years Eve usually.

LOL Tom

Oh yeah. I'll be making these!!!
Fantastic idea for an appie.
Have you ever tried doing them in the smoker?? The first few times I haf Scottish Eggs they were cooked in the kitchen. Then I tried them in the MES and they were even better.
POINT
Gary

Oh yeah. I'll be making these!!!
Fantastic idea for an appie.
Have you ever tried doing them in the smoker?? The first few times I haf Scottish Eggs they were cooked in the kitchen. Then I tried them in the MES and they were even better.
POINT
Gary

Never tried in smoker. If u can get smoker to 375 don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Have thought about smoking some of the ingredients. Like the bread crumbs & cream cheese. Sausage was smoked. Thanks for the like

Those look mighty tasty to me buzzy.

Point for sure.
Chris

Since there was talk about reheating, yes, they reheat well. My family would make a big batch and parfry then freeze. Pop in the oven when serving.

Tons of variations on them. Bacon, ham, corned beef, ground beef, mixes, meatless, no cream cheese, you name it. The key is the kraut. Canned stuff doesn't really work well. Homemade will be crunchier and totally makes it. If not homemade use the refrigerated kind in the bag.

Not sure if this is a regional thing but my GFS carries them although they are not the cream cheese version. Doable though. Anyone traveling Ohio will likely find these on most restaurant's menu as an appetizer. We don't use a dipping sauce but many do. Most popular would be creamy horseradish.

Great job!
I love sauerkraut balls. The place I get them at serves them with a chipotle dipping sauce. Yum!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky