Sauce with jalepeno jelly?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nursewizzle

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 10, 2013
Iowa City, Iowa
I'm not interested in making a sauce from scratch but probably doctoring something. I remember once somebody told me they glaze their ribs with jalepeno jelly, and then when that is set, glaze with sauce. I thought, why not just mix sauce and jalepeno jelly? I tried this weekend with a jar of jelly and a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's. It was way too sweet. I think maybe I'd want to go 2:1 jelly to sauce.

Also, I like vinegary tastes. I was thinking of doctoring some sauce with apple cider vinegar. Would that taste weird? Sauce, jalepeno jelly, apple cider vinegar?

Reactions: zwiller
I'm not interested in making a sauce from scratch but probably doctoring something. I remember once somebody told me they glaze their ribs with jalepeno jelly, and then when that is set, glaze with sauce. I thought, why not just mix sauce and jalepeno jelly? I tried this weekend with a jar of jelly and a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's. It was way too sweet. I think maybe I'd want to go 2:1 jelly to sauce.

Also, I like vinegary tastes. I was thinking of doctoring some sauce with apple cider vinegar. Would that taste weird? Sauce, jalepeno jelly, apple cider vinegar?
Go easy on it. I use acv in my sauce

Here it a link to a thread I did using jalapeno jelly for a glaze on a pork roast. It was REALLY good!!

Robert

The ACV will work to balance the sweet. Use Unseasoned Rice Vinegar or White Vinegar if you want Acidity without changing the sauce flavor. KC Masterpiece is similar to Sweet Baby Rays with A LOT less Sugar...JJ

I do this very thing (also like the vinegar "bite") except with apple jelly and works well. 1/3 each ACV, SBR, and jelly. I find SBR too smokey and like to cut it... I also do a hot version with equal parts Franks, jelly, SBR. After all Franks is mostly vinegar... That being said, I am getting dangerously close to perfecting my version of Jeff's sauce and might actually be better but would have to side by side.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky