Saturday ribs - Memphis style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI

After asking forum members what kind of ribs should go in the pit this weekend, the general consensus was Memphis style.

Well, that is what I did. Memphis dry ribs with hickory smoke. I used Heath Riles Peach rub and Lawry's for seasoning.

First a bit of Lawry's then a generous sprinkle of rub and in the fridge over night. Added a bit more rub while waiting for the pit to get hot.

Cooked ribs in Sarina at 250 F with hickory
chunks.

Mopped the ribs a few times with a quick mop sauce I made. (Water, cider
vinegar, Worcestershire, molasses, brown sugar, onion pwdr, garlic pwdr.)

I served some sauce on the side if desired.

Ribs turned out quite well. Meat had a great flavor and nice bite.

Bottom pic is Neuskes bacon. Among the best bacon on the planet. If you see this , buy it.

rub 1.jpg

ribs 1.jpg

ribs 2.jpg

ribs 3.jpg

Neuskes bacon.jpg

I have the Hero 5 h6 and h7 I'll see what I can do later with Periscope and the Iphone 6 and report back.

Good color JC. Haven't tried the Heath line of rubs yet but sure need to !

I got this rub as an Xmas gift. I likely would not have tried it on my own. It is a tasty rub and really does have a peach flavor.

I would get this again for a change of pace or perhaps for a competition. I really haven't found a rub that I don't like.

It all depends on how you use it. I have tried, Harry Soo's rubs, Malcom Reed's rubs, and now this Heath Riles rub. I have also made my own rubs with varying degrees of success.

I really want to try some of the Meat Church rubs next...

JC :emoji_cat:

Nice looking ribs JC! I plan to try the meat church rubs as well. Heard good things but a little pricy IMO.

All those commercial rubs are overpriced IMHO. Win a championship and market an overpriced rub.

Wash, rinse, repeat.....

To be fair though, those rubs are usually pretty good quality....

Fantastic looking cook JC, Like! Seems ribs were on tap quite a bit this weekend, tried a new Carolina rub myself, it's a keeper. RAY

Reactions: JC in GB
Nice!
The molasses in that mop sauce grabbed my attention.
Any hints about proportions or do I have to experiment :-)

I kind of eyed it up but basically the mop was:

2T water
2T Cider vinegar
1T Worcestershire
2T Brown sugar
2t molasses
1/4t onion, granulated
1/4t garlic, granulated

Made about 4 ounces of mop.

It worked out quite well IMHO.... :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: SmokyMose
The Heath Riles Peach Rub have never heard of it in my area and peach is a big taste favorite flavor for me.

Thanks for the like it is appreciated.

Warren

The Heath Riles Peach Rub have never heard of it in my area and peach is a big taste favorite flavor for me.

Thanks for the like it is appreciated.

Warren

The rub has a very noticeable peach flavor. It would be good on any savory dish that would benefit by a touch of peach.

One word of warning. If you get this rub, pour it out and remix it before you use it. I got hot spots on my ribs the first time around. I mixed the rub well and that fixed the problem.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky