Saturday Morning Cage Fight

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

malisaw

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Gainesville, Ga USA
OK - so it's a box fight....

In the left corner, measuring up at a slim and trim 6x8 inches with a body as hard as stainless steel... loaded with Hickory - the A-MAZE-N-SMOKER!

612000aa_amns.jpg

In the right corner, made of only the finest and richest milk from the cutest cow on the planet - Jasmine the Jersey Cow from St Helier Parish,  Jersey Channel Islands located just 12 miles off the coast of France

b1016f2c_jersey_cow_350x350.jpg

OK, I can dream....  I sure miss the dairy products I use to enjoy living on Jersey CI for 6 years.  Jersey's absolutely do produce the finest dairy products on the planet.  OK OK, back to the battle...

Weighing in at 16lbs 0 ounces - in the burgundy wrapper.... New York Extra Sharp!!

and his team mate - weighing in at a mere 6 lbs - Mozzie  Rella.

4d03ba9c_cheese1.jpg

(Extra Sharp $2.99lb, Sargento Mozzarella $3.50lb, Food Lion Mozzarella $3.68lb - go figure...)  The $15 sticker is for on online coupon or something...)

This battle will take place on an oven grate strategically placed under an authentic card board box - no contestant will be allowed to leave the arena until his milk filled dairy a** has been totally smoked by the A-MAZE-N-SMOKER.  The odds are - Mozzie Rella will last a mere 2½ hours squared off against the AMNS with both ends puffing.  Adams Reserve is expected to fare much better in this amazing lineup and should easily stand the billowing AMNS for 4 to 4½ hours before giving in to that hickory goodness.

More to come as this Saturday Morning Box Match gets under way.

Last edited:
After a nice rest of about 2 ½ hours this match up is ready to begin - and there is already a shocking twist

57a2ffb1_cheese2.jpg

Weighing in at 22lbs - The cheese didn't bring enough to the fight!  Wow...figured I wouldn't have room for 22lbs of cheese on an oven rack - room to spare!

and....we're smokin'!

63cef2b3_cheese3.jpg

Several people at work tried to last batch of smoked Adam's reserve and the mozzarella and were, well...honestly, stunned.  I told them I'd charge them what the cheese costs me and I've got orders for about 12 pounds of the 22 I'm smoking today.  Some I'll keep and some I plan on trying to keep vacuum sealed for months to see how it ends up down the road.  I figured it'll only get better!

All done - Mozarella got 2½ hours of hickory and the NY Extra Sharp Cheddar got a full 5 hours. 

The winner?   ME!!  Fortunately I've got some from my previous batch to tied me over while these guys relax in the fridge for a few weeks.

7222a5f2_cheese4.jpg

Great Job!

People at work are gonna love you!!!

Looks like just the right amount of color on them.

Bear

Great narrative ....sounds like Howard Cosell..  Hahahahahahaha!!!

Craig

Thanks everyone.  One of the main reasons I wanted to go ahead and do such a large amount is to REALLY show what you can do with just the A-Maze-N-Smoker and a cardboard box. 

For cold smoking cheese and bacon this is by far my preferred method over using my masterbuilt 7-1 smoker/grill.  It's a bullet type and when you try to do "square" shaped items like pork belly and/or cheese you limit yourself with the space on those round racks.  I can do much more much easier using an oven grate and a box.  Now if I had one of those MES 30 or 40" cabinet types like a lot of folks on here do it would probably be a much different story!

For those interested in making dry cured smoked bacon, smoked cheese, nuts, etc. you do *not* need a smoker!  You *do* need the AMNS. 

Oh Gawd.... I survived the 70's rock bands, etc. and now in 2011 I've become a groupie for a little metal box!
head-wall.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky