Santa Maria Tri-Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bzimpf

Original poster
Dec 8, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Hey all -

I haven't seem much on Santa-Maria Tri-Tip rubs. When I lived in Northern California it was always a fun trip to drive down to Santa Maria and eat some at the source.

The closest I've found online is:
  • 1 Tbsp Kosher salt.
  • 1 Tbsp finely ground black pepper.
  • 1 Tbsp garlic powder.
  • 1 Tbsp onion powder.
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne.
  • 1 Tbsp dried oregano.
  • 1 teaspoon dry rosemary (or fresh, finely minced)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry sage.
Does anyone have any alternatives they could share?

Thanks

I do almost the same thing but add some paprika. I will smoke for about 90 min. then either put in Sous Vide for 2 hrs or freeze and S. V. when needed. Works really good when we are RVing for a group of 12 to 40.

13, most of the time I defrost before I S.V. I cook at 128 for about 90 mins. then sear on the grill. If you wanted to S. V. frozen I think you should add at least 30 mins. but you could hold it for at least 3 hrs in the water bath.

I only use salt and pepper, sometimes granulated garlic on Tri-tip. Most of the local BBQ guys use it too. Mansmith seasoning is pretty good also on them. Salt and pepper does the trick though.

I have a couple of SM TT rub recipes. One is exactly like the OP's above, but also includes a tablespoon of baker's sugar.

Here's the second one I have on file that I found online. I kind of switch back and forth between the two depending what I have on hand.

Ingredients
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp dried dill
1/4 tsp dried sage

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky