Sand blasting internal metal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

donny88

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 24, 2017
Hey everyone I am wondering something for you guys who built a smoker I have a fridge smoker and welded up some grates used 1/4" rolled steel and 3/4" expanded metal and I am using 1/4" angle iron for the grate holders would you guys recommend bead blasting the grates before I use it with metal or could I just burn it off with a few test runs

I did nothing but burn the first time at about 450 for 6 hrs if I remember ? Sprayed cooking spray oil all over everything inside the cooking chamber & seal as well

Yeah I can get them blasted I wanted to with the grates seeing they will be in direct contact with the food but I wasn't sure with the angle iron I didn't bead blast the inside of the fridge it still has the original coating I'm not quite sure what you would call the coating

20170808_184220.jpg

image.jpeg
image.jpg
Looks like a porcelain enamel on the inside of the fridge. You want to keep that I would think. I would not mess with sandblasting at all. Once you season that thing you won't have anything to worry about . Here's mine after the first burn and again now. It's just two months old , works like a dream and all the interior steel is well seasoned already. No need to sandblast.

Oh awesome thanks slapaho_injun slapaho_injun do you have angle iron just on the sides or do you have the angle iron on the back side of smoker for more support??

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Angle iron welded to the sides to slide racks in and out. Had to also have some round stock welded to give extra support to my expanded metal shelves cause they bowed too much without it.

slapaho_injun slapaho_injun yeah I used 1/4" rolled steel to help with the bending I did around the outside then one bar down the middle. Have you found your smoke insulates to well? I read where guys have had that issue

Too well insulated? Not a problem here. I used Roxul insulation in the door and between the outer shell and the inner cook chamber. Seems to work fantastic.

I will say that the single biggest thing I love about my smoker is the independent fire box that the fridge sits atop. I never have to worry about burning out my firebox or the fridge, the way it is set up. I had a buddy weld up a 2' sq box from 3/16" steel. Inlets on each side near the bottom and a 6" flue from that FB up to the CC. Never have to open the CC to add wood. Flames are never big enough to burn out the FB either. I have a raised expanded metal/angle iron shelf I set the cast iron pan on and the wood/ash stays in the pan, so very little direct heat to the FB.

That's awesome that you don't have to open it means keep the heat in I have a small broil king charcoal smoker it's a 2 door smoker one door on top is access to the meat and water dish and second is to the fire so if I open either one to add more water or what ever I loose that heat I'm adding a pallet pro from smoke daddy Inc to my fridge smoker it will be alot better on longer smokes then the little charcoal one I have

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky