San Fransisco Starter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
What you will need for both the starter and 2 loaves.
You can use your mixer with the hook if you like

1/4 oz package plus 1 T active dry yeast
1 cup AP flour
4 3/4 cup bread flour
1 cup warm milk
olive oil
1 x large egg
3 1/2 T sugar divided
2 c warm water
2 1/2 tsp salt
2 T butter softened
cornmeal
1 T water

First make the starter. This will be a 2 day process.
2 cups warm water Make sure you use a large bowl.
2 T active dry yeast. Added to the water. Mix well
Then add 1/2 T sugar, mix well.
Add the 1 cup AP flour, mix well. Cover with clear wrap lightly
Store starter at room temp for 2 days.
IMG_4868.JPG

2 days later it bread time

Now the bread.

Large bowl add 1 cup of the bread flour. Add the remaining sugar, 1 pack of yeast, stir in the milk and butter. Mix well then add 1 1/2 cups of the starter, mix with a spoon then add the remaining bread flower gradually while mixing. If your dough is too sticking you can add a little more flour.

Once your dough is not sticking you can turn it onto a floured surface to kneed for 10 mins or use your stand mixer.
Coat a bowl with the olive oil, roll your dough in the bowl to coat with the oil.
Cover the bowl with a dish towel or plastic to let rise for 1-2 hours and doubles in size.
After the rise gently punch down the dough, leave uncovered to rest for 15 mins before shaping into 2 loaves.
Place the loaves onto a lightly greased baking sheet and toss on the cornmeal. Place loaves on the sheet and let rise for another hour.
If you have bread pans you can use those also.

Pre heat oven to 375*

Make some slash cuts on the top of loaves. Beat the egg with the 1 T water and brush onto the loaves.
Bake for 30 mins until golden brown

I've baked my way through that cookbook over the years and it made me a much better bread baker. That and "The Perfect Loaf" website. I don't do much sourdough these days because I hate having to find things to do with the discard (can't throw stuff away) so my go to FWSY recipe is the white bread with poolish with maybe 100 grams of whole wheat.

I've baked my way through that cookbook over the years and it made me a much better bread baker. That and "The Perfect Loaf" website. I don't do much sourdough these days because I hate having to find things to do with the discard (can't throw stuff away) so my go to FWSY recipe is the white bread with poolish with maybe 100 grams of whole wheat.
A lot of Chefs feel the same way about tossing food. What they do is make a starter and after 7 days of feeding it they dry all the discard until they have enough dry starter to keep them going for a while. They take the dry starter and put it into the food processer until it is a fine powder. Then they add a tsp to TBSP of the starter powder to their poolish. It gives you a mild sourdough taste to your final product. A lot of pizza joints use this hybrid dough for their pies. Try it out you add it to the poolish when you start it.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Judy cheated & bought some starter from King Arthur, that date’s back to the 1800’s. She bought it about 3 or 4 years ago, and of course has to feed it & take some out every week, so we always have an ample supply of sourdough bread.
Al

A lot of Chefs feel the same way about tossing food. What they do is make a starter and after 7 days of feeding it they dry all the discard until they have enough dry starter to keep them going for a while. They take the dry starter and put it into the food processer until it is a fine powder. Then they add a tsp to TBSP of the starter powder to their poolish. It gives you a mild sourdough taste to your final product. A lot of pizza joints use this hybrid dough for their pies. Try it out you add it to the poolish when you start it.
Thanks! I never thought to do that but I'll give it a try! My waistline was begging me to stop making sourdough pancakes with all the discard.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky