Salt question for bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Pops, I agree, used properly, both TQ & Cure #1 are very good cures.

SolarYellow,

The Email from USDA is copied & pasted word for word.

The words I reported from Morton Salt were over the phone.

You are allowed to call them, or email them yourself.

I am quite satisfied with the answers I got from them.

The USDA has different policies for commercial processors, but allows them to use nitrates in everything except food for babies, toddlers, and Bacon. 

They do not report any problem with Tender Quick (that I can find).

If TQ was bad, Morton Salt could not sell it. If it was anything like cigarettes, they would have to put on the outside of the pack, "Caution, using Tender Quick could be Hazardous to your health".

Let us know what they tell you,

Bear

I am not questioning what you posted Bear. The context of it for some reason isn't sinking in with my pea brain today. I would have hoped there was more information and thought maybe you had posted a summary. Thanks for responding.

I am not questioning what you posted Bear. The context of it for some reason isn't sinking in with my pea brain today. I would have hoped there was more information and thought maybe you had posted a summary. Thanks for responding.

You're very welcome.

That was that whole reply from them.

I would have liked more from them too, but I guess their hearts weren't in it.

Maybe they are worried Morton Salt will prove they are wrong, if they push it? Just a guess.

However someone from the other side of the fence about TQ could maybe drag more out of them.

I like using it & USDA didn't tell me not to use it, and instead told me to enjoy it.

I don't know what else to say.

Take Care,

Bear

You're very welcome.

That was that whole reply from them.

I would have liked more from them too, but I guess their hearts weren't in it.

Maybe they are worried Morton Salt will prove they are wrong, if they push it? Just a guess.

However someone from the other side of the fence about TQ could maybe drag more out of them.

I like using it & USDA didn't tell me not to use it, and instead told me to enjoy it.

I don't know what else to say.

Take Care,

Bear

I am not trying to dissuade you from using it. The use of it in bacon is in my concern. I don't believe TQ is inherently evil nor do I feel that everyone should only use cure #1 or cure #2.

I am not trying to dissuade you from using it. The use of it in bacon is in my concern. I don't believe TQ is inherently evil nor do I feel that everyone should only use cure #1 or cure #2.
Great then there (in red) is your reason for contacting Mortons & the USDA. It's easy to do.

Tell them to put a label on it "Not For Use In Curing Bacon". Or ask them why they won't do that.

I can't do more than I did for you. They should be your target !

Bear

Interesting issue. I am noticing that commercial bacon that I used to enjoy does not taste as good as as it used to. And It goes bad in the fridge relatively quickly .I  assume that the Nitrate, Nitrosamine. controversy has something to do with it. Salting and curing, smoking meat has been used to preserve meat for thousands of years. So I am happy to hear the issue aired publicly. Thanks for the Step by step. I plan to use it for curing hog jowl soon. Another question. Should I use the bacon cure to do tongue? Or am I better off using a brine.

Interesting issue. I am noticing that commercial bacon that I used to enjoy does not taste as good as as it used to. And It goes bad in the fridge relatively quickly .I  assume that the Nitrate, Nitrosamine. controversy has something to do with it.

Although it still seems to be an issue for some here, the USDA stopped the use of Nitrates in bacon back in the 70's if I'm not mistaken. I think if you notice a difference now it's probably the manufacturer adding more water or something trying to make more money with less meat, or just a less quality belly.

Salting and curing, smoking meat has been used to preserve meat for thousands of years. So I am happy to hear the issue aired publicly. Thanks for the Step by step. I plan to use it for curing hog jowl soon. Another question. Should I use the bacon cure to do tongue? Or am I better off using a brine. Which bacon cure were you thinking of using?
 Oh and welcome to the forums Lathrop.

Last edited:
Well, not sure reading all that helped or not. I decided to use the cure #1. I took pics and will update in the future when I see how this worked out for me.

Custom99

Reading all that was probably confusing to the majority of people on the forum so this is one time you don't need to feel special  
drool.gif
.   You used what you had Cure 1, hopefully in the proper amounts with the correct methods.  If you have never before eaten you own cured bacon you are in for a special treat.  Post what you did and some pics. 

Al

Please don't let this dissuade you in any way.  Do your study and research.  Be sure you know what is happening with each cure.

Also, please note that the discourse you have seen in this thread is not a common thing here.  There are great and friendly people here.

Good luck and good smoking.

makin' bacon........................git after it!

btw - what recipe did you use.........that should be more important that what cure. i'd like to know how much salt/sugar did you use and did you use anything else like garlic, onion or pepper.

Thanks bakerboy, I will stop there next time I am out that way so that I have both. I tried using the store locator on Mortons site and could not come up with anywhere. I ended up going to Pennsylvania Macaroni in the strip for the cure I bought.

However It is the only one I have looked at in detail in detail.

i use this per lb of pork:

peppered...
1 # butt or belly

1 gm # 1 cure
8 gm salt
5 gm raw sugar
1/4 t. granuated garilic
1/4 t. granulated onion
2 t. black pepper

you might want to think about a small digital scale for accuracy for cure/salt/sugar ratios.

Scales and other equipment is something I am never short of. My wife is an ex-chef and my daughter is a pastry student. These two have about anything I ever ask for. They were the ones that helped me out with measuring the cure. 

Lucky you. and for that mater lucky me. My wife is a great cook as is her mother.  I do use digital scales and Thermometers.  as a cook I do some things really well. but have a somewhat limited range. I don't lack cook books. I have a huge collection as both my wife and I love to read them. They are an entire genre of entertainment and information. Smoking "meat" is a new enterprise for me. I do roast my own coffee and build [actually convert] my own roasters. one of the baristas at the best local expresso  bar rated my coffee as awesome That is a bit off topic though.

george

Lucky you. and for that mater lucky me. My wife is a great cook as is her mother.  I do use digital scales and Thermometers.  as a cook I do some things really well. but have a somewhat limited range. I don't lack cook books. I have a huge collection as both my wife and I love to read them. They are an entire genre of entertainment and information. Smoking "meat" is a new enterprise for me. I do roast my own coffee and build [actually convert] my own roasters. one of the baristas at the best local expresso  bar rated my coffee as awesome That is a bit off topic though.

george
A few of here roast our own coffee..  I have an I-Roaster and all the cool gear that goes with roasting..

Craig

All i used for cure was the cure #1. I did not want to experiment on my first try. They had to help me measure because of having to use such a small amount of cure. I had it figured wrong and almost used way too much. Since my smoker is a small cabinet I cut the belly into 4 pieces to fit better. If I could get photobucket to cooperate I would post pics, but for some reason I cant get it to work right. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky