• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Salt n Pepper chicken

bena

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 4, 2016
Sometimes the simple things makes the wife the happiest....must be true she married me ;-). 
I have tried brining, different rubs, sauces and this is the one she stated she likes the best.  SMH

Costco packaged wings/legs and drumsticks.

Rinse/ pat dry

Place in gallon zip lock add a splooge of olive oil and grind in some black pepper and sprinkle over some sea salt.

Massage to get an even coat and place in basket

Throw some apple chips in the smoker tray and let it rip

Have all 3 burners going on the grill and try to maintain a 350-375 degree range and pull when the drumsticks were about  165-170 with the quick temp read probe.  

It had the flavor she was after and crispy skin that she wanted .. I have to agree it was pretty good.

Thanks for viewing !

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Looks great! Points! I prefer to use the KISS method for smokes. Keep It Simple Smoker!

gary s

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
Nice looking Bird ---   Points !

Gary

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Great job Ben!

Everything looks delicious!

Al

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Joined Dec 31, 2012
I'm with you simple S&P is the best!   I use a rub SPG often but that only adds garlic to the mix...nice sized flakes of everything.

The food looks great!

Last edited:

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
Ben That looks great,I love that basket Thanks for sharring Keep spinning Points heading at ya

Richie

bena

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 4, 2016

Ben That looks great,I love that basket Thanks for sharring Keep spinning Points heading at ya

Richie

This is the stainless basket I have if you/anybody was wondering
amazon" style="max-width:120px">Fire Magic 3618 Rotisserie Basket Flat Stainless

kc5tpy

Master of the Pit
Joined May 12, 2013
Hello. Looks GREAT Ben.  I'm with you guys.  The wife and I prefer just S&P on most smokes and then let the meat and smoke speak for itself.  I tried to get a bit "fancy" at the smokers weekend so I used a rub on my leg quarters.  The wife's response was " well, it wasn't horrible".  
  Keep Smokin!

Danny

bluewhisper

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 1, 2014
I tried your approach, but with rock cornish game hen halves in the oven - as said here, let the meat speak for itself. For a twist, I put a sprig of sage from the garden under the bird halves. They worked out well.

gmh313

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 14, 2016
Simple is always the best in my opinion. There's a local restaurant with a wood pizza oven. They make some of the best wings I've ever had. They're just sea salt, black pepper, and rosemary. Tossed up and cooked in the pizza oven. They get smoky and crispy real fast, and like frying, the skin flash cooks so all the juices stay inside. Can't beat them!!!

bluewhisper

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 1, 2014
Here's another angle on simplicity, in the world of hot sauces. I know some guys who manufacture elaborate sauces with complicated spice packages and pepper mixtures. Others just make a puree of one kind of pepper, vinegar and salt. It's like a single-malt vs. a blended whiskey.

ceasarasmokus

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 7, 2016
I agree. My wife always wants to stack the spices on our steaks. I marinate them in a simple olive oil sea salt and cracked pepper mixture. You just cant go wrong.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.