Salt curing hams (prosciutto )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
 Cycletrash and I got them netted and hanging.....And the wait begins

c5cee66d_cellphonepics101.jpg
eeff327e_cellphonepics104.jpg

Reactions: cycletrash
Cycletrash & Dave54, lookin' good there guys. What's left in the process, now? Just controling the humidity, keeping the air moving and waiting? Can that be accomplished by the use of a fan and a dehumidifier, or is it a bit more complicated than that? Looks like you've got an excellent room for it. How tough is it to keep the conditions regulated? Is your room temperature a concern or is it fairly consistent? I'm really interested in watching your process, so please keep us informed on how things are going. 

Thanks and best of luck,

ShortEnd

we keep a fan circulating and in warmer weather we do use a dehumidfier if needed .

Sorry about not posting more updates, but too busy fighting off people from my basement ...we had to put in a security system and roving guards to protect the basement and smoke room.

How do the guys do it down south that let it hang in the heat?  I have had people tell me there family did them all the time long ago but cannot get details.  I just sent 2 hogs off to the butcher!

Looks amazing!  Is the white stuff in the latest pictures salt leaching out?

Nick 

How do the guys do it down south that let it hang in the heat?  I have had people tell me there family did them all the time long ago but cannot get details.  I just sent 2 hogs off to the butcher!

Looks amazing!  Is the white stuff in the latest pictures salt leaching out?

Nick 
   It's lard covering the meat where it was cut from the pig ,helps seal it and with pepper ,wine or vinegar to keep flies of once it gets warm ,( Rob thought we'd try wine this year , so that's what we went with) 

Thanks for the response!

That is one of my conserns trying to hang it for over a year and never get a fly in the room.  Here in TN the flys are out year around it seems.  I know people that said there grampa hung hams in the garage for a year and they were great.  Seems like the 100 deg days would not work well.

Nick

just got done with my salt cure process lool my pictures up a read my thread >> My first attemp on making proscuitto tell me what u think i need all the help i can get

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky