Salt curing hams (prosciutto )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here is a video of us cutting out the bone before salting and wieghting down the hams

Reactions: dave54
after posting the last post, it reappeared, so I watched it to it's end.  

That bone is called the AITCH bone (pronounced "H"), one of three major bones in the leg.  It is connected to the FEMUR bone, the long bone in the ham, which is then connected at the other end to the HOCK of the leg bone in the shank.  you can also remove the hock too, just leaving the femur bone inside, or remove the femur also, cutting into the leg to do so, but also opening the leg so it is no more than 2" thick at any point, eliminating the chance of 'bone sour', or getting cure or salt to the meat before it spoils, or sours.  This is a pic of the bone structure on a leg I did:

How did this ham turn out?

Dave
Rob (cycletrash) and I checked them at the end of July with a stainless steel rod along the bone for bone rot and the rod came

out smelling like a really good ham . they have shrunk by a third of their original size and have gotten hard .

Rob has all four hanging in his "smoke room" off his basement and they've gotten smoke every time He's smoke anything ,

The smell of the hams are to amazing  and it's getting hard to wait til Thanksgiving what we're shooting for is smoked

prosciutto.  

Both Rob and I feel we're on the right track curing them this way and have had a Fantastic older Italian friend giving

us pointers on how he and his family have done them for years so we're not worried about them not turning out bad.  

Reactions: spartan1967
Don't worry about insurance, you'll be fine

Redondo Iglesias Jamon Serrano hams are usually cured for 15 months and cost about $285.00

FYI
[h1]Jamón Serrano - The Basics[/h1]
(Dry-Cured Ham from Spain)

There is nothing more Spanish than jamón serrano. This country ham is a national treasure shared in Spain by all walks of life. Cured for at least a year, it has a much deeper flavor firmer texture than its closest relateive, Italian prosciutto. Serve as a 'Tapa' with cheese and olives, or in your favorite Spanish recipe

Jamon Serrano country ham is a source of great pride among Spaniards. From time immemorial in the mountains of Spain, they have rolled fresh hams in sea salt and hung them from their rafters to cure. A year to eighteen months later the jamones are ready to mount on special stands that are designed so that anyone can stop by, carve a few paper-thin slices, and enjoy an impromptu snack – perhaps with some manchego cheese.

It is unlike the smoked and salty Virginia country hams, which have to be soaked and cooked. And it is even significantly different from Italian prosciutto, which is cured for a few months with a coating of lard. The Spanish jamón serrano has distinctly more flavor, and significantly less salt than country ham and less fat than prosciutto.
pix_jamon_large.jpg

Jamón serrano is more than a delicacy in Spain; it is a normal part of every family’s life. Every tapas bar and neighborhood café has their own hams. During the Holiday Season there are literally hundreds of them hanging from the rafters of major food stores for the holiday shoppers.

What is the appeal? Jamon Serrano is a flavorful, natural ham, cured in the country air. This extended curing transforms the ham, imparting a deep flavor and aroma. This lengthy curing also means it is much less fatty and has a firmer bite than Italian prosciutto. You can serve it sliced paper-thin with cheese and olives, or use it to flavor your favorite Spanish recipes.

The secret to jamon lies in its curing, recreating the effect of traditional techniques. This tradition is kept alive in rural areas where in early winter, family and friends gather to slaughter their livestock in preparation for winter months. The hams are placed in sea salt for a brief period of time – approximately one day per kilo – and then they are strung up. They are allowed to experience the changes of temperature as the seasons progress. The right time to eat them is when an experienced ham-master inserts a long splinter of cow bone and whiffs the jamón, like a connoisseur of wine who sniffs the cork.

This is the finish product of Dave 54 and my Hams ! It is a success ! Worth the wait . We even got the ultimate compliment from Dave54 wife , she said " she is not eating that 20.00 imported shit from the  store anymore ! " We were told to get busy on the hams for next year!! We are off to the meat market!!!

a9df85ff_proscuitto1.jpg
1dd07be1_proscuitto3.jpg
d44507be_proscuitto4.jpg
699c3c33_proscuitto2.jpg
3885658e_hamshank.jpg

Beautiful!!!

You guys have inspired me.  I must do this!

Have you seen the Ohio Members group that got started?  You should check it out (and bring some of that ham to the get together being planned for this summer!  :-)

Very nice job gentlemen!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky