Salisbury Steak with Onion Gravy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Along with the Hasselback Au Gratin Potatoes I made some Salisbury Steak in Onion Gravy.
I love a good Salisbury Steak, a nice hearty lunch for the family.

This recipe makes some good meatballs too, regular or breaded.

Salisbury Steak

4lb ground beef
3 eggs, beaten
1c bread crumbs
1.5t granulated garlic
1.5t granulated onion
(*not used if making onion gravy*)
3T Ketchup
1.5T each Mustard and Worcestershire sauce
Mix well, form into twelve patties and refrigerate if not cooking immediately.
Fry patties till done.
I like to cook on high heat and get a good sear on it for extra flavor.
Cook all ground beef to a safe IT of 165°.

IOgURSs.jpg

Onion or Mushroom Gravy

In a large frying pan caramelize 2c of chopped onion or mushrooms, set aside.
After cooking patties, reserve 1/2c drippings.
Combine 1/4c flour, 2c beef broth, 2t ketchup and Worcestershire sauce, add to drippings and whisk well.
Bring to fast simmer and hold for 5 minutes to cook the flour.
Lower heat and add another 2c beef broth and whisk well.
Add onions or mushrooms and stir to combine.
Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a fast simmer for about 5 minutes stirring often.
Add salt to taste.
Add as many patties as will fit in pan with gravy and simmer for 10 minutes.

F7U7cDJ.jpg

Lunch

go0OI4v.jpg

1FRMBe4.jpg

Last edited:
I'm stupid, but i wonder why it is called salisbury steak...l don't know the history of the name., but you nailed it. looks great.

HT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salisbury_steak
Dr. Salisbury
Coming from this history of ground meat dishes is the Salisbury steak, which today is usually served with a gravy similar in texture to brown sauce. Dr. James Salisbury (1823–1905), an American physician and chemist, advocated for a meat-centered diet to promote health, and the term Salisbury steak has been used in the United States since 1897.[18]

Reactions: xray
Along with the Hasselback Au Gratin Potatoes I made some Salisbury Steak in Onion Gravy.
I love a good Salisbury Steak, a nice hearty lunch for the family.

This recipe makes some good meatballs too, regular or breaded.

Salisbury Steak

4lb ground beef
3 eggs, beaten
1C bread crumbs
1.5t granulated garlic
1.5t granulated onion (*not used with onion gravy*)
3T Ketchup
1.5T each Mustard and Worcestershire sauce
Mix well, form into twelve patties and refrigerate if not cooking immediately.
Cook all ground beef to a safe IT, 165°.

IOgURSs.jpg

Onion Gravy

In a large frying pan caramelize 1 large quartered, sliced onion, set aside.
After cooking patties, reserve 1/2C drippings.
Combine 1/4C flour, 2C beef broth, 2t ketchup and Worcestershire sauce, add to drippings and whisk well.
Bring to fast simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Lower heat and add 2C beef broth and whisk well.
Add onions and stir.
Add as many patties as will fit and simmer for 5 minutes.

F7U7cDJ.jpg

Lunch

go0OI4v.jpg
I love a good salisbury also....usually use tenderized round steak though for mine. Last time I made though cheated a little and used liptons beef onion soup mix...still pow.

Looks awesome John!!

I actually had Salisbury steak at the hospital cafeteria yesterday but that doesn’t even hold a candle to this...I want this one instead, got anymore!?

Like!

Looks great. I like your flavoring choices. I have to try the gravy that way.
As a kid and in Boy Scouts, we use to bring frozen Salisbury Steaks, Turkey in Gravy and Roast Beef in Gravy in boil in bags on camping trips. We bought them Frozen at the Grocery Store. I think the brand was Freezer Queen, or something like that. Thin boxes with a single serving inside. The Salisbury Steak was delicious. They had grill marks and a char-grilled flavor with a salty thin brown gravy. I really miss them and have not been able to duplicate the flavor. Guess I don't have the right Artificial Flavorings and Preservatives.:emoji_wink:...JJ

Looks great! So you use a total of 4C of broth? Two to make the 'roux' and two more to him it down?

Thanks

I love a good salisbury also....usually use tenderized round steak though for mine. Last time I made though cheated a little and used liptons beef onion soup mix...still pow.
Me too, even just a plain'ol hamburger in gravy.
looks good!
Thanks
Looks awesome John!!

I actually had Salisbury steak at the hospital cafeteria yesterday but that doesn’t even hold a candle to this...I want this one instead, got anymore!?

Like!
Thanks, unfortunately all gone... Well, except for my lunches.

Reactions: kit s
Looks great. I like your flavoring choices. I have to try the gravy that way.
As a kid and in Boy Scouts, we use to bring frozen Salisbury Steaks, Turkey in Gravy and Roast Beef in Gravy in boil in bags on camping trips. We bought them Frozen at the Grocery Store. I think the brand was Freezer Queen, or something like that. Thin boxes with a single serving inside. The Salisbury Steak was delicious. They had grill marks and a char-grilled flavor with a salty thin brown gravy. I really miss them and have not been able to duplicate the flavor. Guess I don't have the right Artificial Flavorings and Preservatives.:emoji_wink:...JJ
Thank you JJ.
LOL... I know what ya mean about those lovingly remembered and un-reproducible flavors.
I like a double helping of that with extra gravy please!!
Yes'sir, extra gravy and plenty of onions.
looks delicous John, I think I would need a nap after eating that plate
Thanks man, yep, I was nodding off after lunch.

John I haven't had one since I was a kid,I could eat one of them if it didn't have the Onion in the burger,(just something that I can't eat) Likes
Richie

Looks great! So you use a total of 4C of broth? Two to make the 'roux' and two more to him it down?

Thanks
Thanks.
Yes, 4C of beef broth, takes a lot of gravy for 12 patties.
Looks great! I too like them. I have a crock pot version that is also pretty darn tasty.
Thanks Steve.
John I haven't had one since I was a kid,I could eat one of them if it didn't have the Onion in the burger,(just something that I can't eat) Likes
Richie
You're in luck Richie, no onion powder in patties when served with Onion Gravy, too much onion otherwise.
But when with Mushroom or Brown gravies I put the onion powder in them.

Last edited:
Damn John....that looks REALLY good. Like so many others here, I just love a good Salisbury steak. I made it for Tracy and I a couple years ago but it's kinda gone by the wayside with all the other great stuff I see posted here. It's now back at the forefront of my little cranium now. This will be made one day real soon, I can assure you of that, especially with the temps going back down later this week. Perfect meal any time, but especially on a cool, yucky day. Big LIKE my friend for a job very well done!!

Mmmm....
Robert

Gosh I haven't had Salisbury Steaks in years, but I sure ate a bunch of them as a kid. Yours look fantastic & I will have to make a couple real soon!
Al

Looks like a wonderful meal John. I'll have to bump this one up into the winter rotation.

Point for sure
Chris

Like everyone else said I haven't had a Salisbury steak in years. Normally don't see them except in the mystery meat frozen dinners. Looks like a hell of a lunch nice job John!

Damn John....that looks REALLY good. Like so many others here, I just love a good Salisbury steak. I made it for Tracy and I a couple years ago but it's kinda gone by the wayside with all the other great stuff I see posted here. It's now back at the forefront of my little cranium now. This will be made one day real soon, I can assure you of that, especially with the temps going back down later this week. Perfect meal any time, but especially on a cool, yucky day. Big LIKE my friend for a job very well done!!

Mmmm....
Robert
Thanks Robert.
Yep, a great hot meal for a cold day/night.
Gosh I haven't had Salisbury Steaks in years, but I sure ate a bunch of them as a kid. Yours look fantastic & I will have to make a couple real soon!
Al
Appreciate it Al, thanks.
Looks like a wonderful meal John. I'll have to bump this one up into the winter rotation.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you Chris.
I'm confident you'll enjoy the recipe.
Like everyone else said I haven't had a Salisbury steak in years. Normally don't see them except in the mystery meat frozen dinners. Looks like a hell of a lunch nice job John!
Thank you very much.
This was always my fave TV dinner entree.
A classic worthy of the 30/30 min prep/cook time.

Looks fantastic there John. The Mrs. requests (insists) I make this quite often. But she only wants the Cream-o-mushroom soup gravy version and I add extra chopped mushrooms. (shhh... don't tell her I sneak some minced onion in the grind though!) Gotta make extra though to go with whipped mashed taters. This is definitely a good winter rotation meal!

Reactions: kit s
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky