Safety suggestions?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Alsta

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 20, 2021
Perth Amboy, NJ
So my little lady wanted me to consider putting some kind of heat proofing material behind the grill - erroring on the side of safety, I can't say I blame her.
Right now I have a nice little grill area, about 8' high, primary build (as an engagement gift from a friend) is 2x4's and pressboard walls.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be used for this? And if its decorative, I may just do the whole area.
20210417_140434.png

So my little lady wanted me to consider putting some kind of heat proofing material behind the grill - erroring on the side of safety, I can't say I blame her.
Right now I have a nice little grill area, about 8' high, primary build (as an engagement gift from a friend) is 2x4's and pressboard walls.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be used for this? And if its decorative, I may just do the whole area.
View attachment 493414
Well.. firstly, anything you may put in there is going to get smokey.. so I wouldn't go with anything too fancy. Secondly.. it looks a little close to the wall so if you have room.. move it out away from the wall to start with. Not sure what the floor is but that would be a concern with dripping fat too.

Perhaps some corrugated metal panels on the wall behind you would spruce it up and keep you a bit safer.

Floor is a slab of concrete - Corrugated metal is not a bad idea, can always hit it with a little Hi Temp paint to spruce it up

I agree with kilo Charlie. Corrugated sheet metal would be the way to go. And by the way Alsta, welcome to the forum.

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. You might consider concrete backer board. Maybe a combination of concrete baker board behind the grill and the metal other places

Welcome to the Forum. Items such as sheet metal, cement board (keep metal out of the grill "hot zone"), applying a fire retardant coating over the top of latex paint would help.

Regardless of you heat shield, follow your instruction manual minimum separation distances and other safe uses.

Ask your local fire/building/insurance inspector what they would be looking for if things went south. Oh yea, don't forget a small fire extinguisher. Especially if you are within the city limits. 🍻
John

I looked at your photos on your other post and it appears there's a roof over this as well?

Definitely a fire extinguisher.. and you have the room to move it out away from that wall.

I'm not sure if this thing is enclosed on all the sides or not - perhaps better photos will help. If it is enclosed on all the sides, please rethink about smoking and grilling inside this structure. You're just asking for bad things to happen.

It is 1/2 open on 2 sides - 1 long and 1 short. put shelving at the half level to 'serve" the food off of - height is about where my elbow is in the one photo in other thread.
No door in the entryway, so plenty of ventilation.
Fire extinguisher is in place - Just was not in view in the photo.
Ok, will slide out from wall, and concrete backerboard is easy enough, will probably give a coat of the paint with FRC on it as well..

I thank all of you for the advice and will update with photos once the changes take place.

First thoughts on a heat shield is to use something that stands off the wall creating an air gap. So maybe some sort of runners or spacers behind the heat shield? In addition to corrugated steel there are hundreds of options using metal siding or roofing panels and they are pre-finished in a variety of colors.

It appears that when opening the lid, it gets a bit too close to the wood. I concur with the others. Pull it away from the wall a bit. Add some corrugated metal, beer signs and you have an indoor/outdoor cook shack.

It appears that when opening the lid, it gets a bit too close to the wood. I concur with the others. Pull it away from the wall a bit. Add some corrugated metal, beer signs and you have an indoor/outdoor cook shack.
It didn't dawn on me to decorate the heat barrier, that's a good idea. There is a big market in replica signs of all kinds.

Welcome to the forum from Indiana!
The first thing I would do is move it away from that chipboard wall. A firebox gets really HOT. I Didn't realize how hot until I had to have some warped vinyl siding replaced....

1x2 as a spacer then attach the corrugated tin to them. Then your signs etc to that. And as there have said.....a small fire extinguisher (hoping you’ll never need it).

Reactions: kilo charlie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky