Sacramento County Spare The Air is messing with my BBQ plans!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin james

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Sac County sure is making BBQ life difficult at the moment. Tomorrow (Saturday) will be the 7th day in a row that their "Check before you burn" site has listed all wood burning as prohibited. Technically 6 days, but the first was illegal to burn without an exemption which you can't get for BBQ.

Last week on Thanksgiving day I had pulled a plate of chuck short ribs and a rack of spare ribs out of the freezer to defrost for a cook I had planned over the weekend for last Sunday, which to my displeasure ended up being the first day they listed as illegal to burn. The chuck ribs were the second plate out of a two pack, and the spares were the third rack out of 3 pack, both from Costco and re-vac sealed. Since they had both been removed from their original crovacs before they were put in the freezer I could only hold them for 3-4 days once defrosted. Thanks to the no burn orders I ended up having to toss them. Should have just cooked them in the oven I guess, but I kept holding out hoping the next day the burn ban would be lifted. But no... going on 7 days straight now.

Anyways... just venting LOL I hope you guys all get to fire up your pits this weekend... I still don't know if I'll be able to on Sunday, but based on the current pattern I have little hope :emoji_rage:

We've had some REALLY crappy days with smoke from the fires earlier this year, but I've never seen a Spare the Air alert for the area, just air quality alerts.

That said, water restrictions are another thing entirely. That's why I dry smoke (wink wink).

We've had some REALLY crappy days with smoke from the fires earlier this year, but I've never seen a Spare the Air alert for the area, just air quality alerts.

That said, water restrictions are another thing entirely. That's why I dry smoke (wink wink).

Yeah the smoke from the fires was really bad a couple months ago.

Had it bad in the SF Bay Area right around when I got my offset in September. So far no issues right now. Got 2 racks smoking on my offset now.

Get an electric for those days when the state dictates what you can and cannot do and pray that there are no rolling blackouts when you use it.

We've had Burn Bans in Pennsylvania, when there was a fire problem, but not for a long time.
WTH---All it does around here is Rain-Rain-Rain !!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky