Rye Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks, guys! I've bookmarked them both.
I tried one similar to negolien negolien 's and it was pretty much a failure. Tasty but too heavy. Probably something I did wrong.
I'm looking for something to use for sandwiches after the Easter ham, so I'll try the one from sawhorseray sawhorseray first. Looks pretty simple.
Dan

• Sad
Reactions: negolien
Mrs ~t~ is in charge of all the dough at our house, uh... in charge of all the baking at our house. :emoji_laughing: .... HERE is the rye recipe she uses.

Kpu5KSd.jpg

Thanks, guys! I've bookmarked them both.
I tried one similar to negolien negolien 's and it was pretty much a failure. Tasty but too heavy. Probably something I did wrong.
I'm looking for something to use for sandwiches after the Easter ham, so I'll try the one from sawhorseray sawhorseray first. Looks pretty simple.
Dan

Some of the rye recipes are pretty heavy as the poor ate it to supplement their diets. Usually an eastern European issue in my experience.

I have a good one if I can find my recipe book. I used to do a lot of bread baking but started having issues with gluten so, needless to say, my bread baking stopped at that point. I dabbled a bit with gluten free breads, but the results weren't worth the effort.

I will go ahead and post recipe for you SD makers. This is very good and only takes a couple hours to do:

200 g Starter
130 g Water
¼ cup Oil
¼ cup pickle juice
170 g Bread Flour
100 g Rye flour
3 Tbs Potato Flakes
1.5 Tbs Raw Sugar
2 Tbs Caraway Seeds
1.5 tsp salt
2.5 tsp instant yeast
2 Tbls dough improver I use Gluten

Place bread flour, rye flour, potato flakes, caraway seeds, demarara sugar, yeast, and sea salt in the bowl of a large stand mixer. Turn mixer to low and thoroughly mix dry ingredients. Beat warm water, canola oil, Starter and pickle juice into dry ingredients. Fit dough hook onto mixer and beat until dough is rough and shaggy-looking.

Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rest for exactly 30 minutes. Remove plastic wrap and knead dough in stand mixer with dough hook until smooth, firm, and only slightly sticky, 6 to 8 minutes. Turn dough onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth, 1 to 2 more minutes.

Form dough into a ball, place dough into an oiled bowl, and turn dough around several times in bowl to coat with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, set into a warm place, and let rise until nearly double, about 1 hour.

Grease a 5x9-inch loaf pan. Turn dough onto a lightly oiled surface, shape into a log, and place into prepared loaf pan. Cover with a cloth kitchen towel and let rise until top of dough has risen slightly over top of pan, 60 to 90 minutes.

Place rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Bake loaf until golden brown and cooked through, about 35 minutes. The internal temperature of the bread should be 190 degrees F (90 degrees C). If loaf browns too quickly, cover loosely with a tent of aluminum foil with shiny side out. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.

Here's ours. We use a Dutch oven (DO)
Ingredients:

Makes: 1 medium loaf

2 1⁄2 cups (350 g) all-purpose flour (plus plenty for the pastry board)

1 1⁄2 cups (210 g) rye flour

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons caraway seeds (plus more for topping)

3 teaspoons active dry yeast

2 cups (470 ml) water or whey

1. Mix completely.
  2. Allow to rise 6 - 12 hrs
  3. Preheat DO to 500F
  4. Scrape dough into hot DO and slightly shape
  5. Put lid on and put in oven
  6. Remove lid after 25-30 mins and then 8-10 mins without lid

Let cool one hour

Larger loaf

4 cups all-purpose flour

2 cups rye flour

3 tsp sea salt

3 tsp caraway seeds

3 tsp dry active yeast

3 cups water

Cook this larger one for 40 mins with lid and 10 mins without.

One think I found with rye is it really needs some wheat gluten to get a good rise. I struggled with it until I started doing that.
I think the rise was my problem. I used the recipe on the back of the King Arthur bag and it only specified about 2hrs first rise and 1hr second rise. Mine just didn't want to rise so I gave up and just baked. I thought my yeast had gone bad but I tried an Italian loaf next day and it was fine. From what I've seen above the rise time should have been longer.
Impatience is one of my many faults....

Reactions: negolien
I think the rise was my problem. I used the recipe on the back of the King Arthur bag and it only specified about 2hrs first rise and 1hr second rise. Mine just didn't want to rise so I gave up and just baked. I thought my yeast had gone bad but I tried an Italian loaf next day and it was fine. From what I've seen above the rise time should have been longer.
Always a learning process especially for bread. I highly recommend a cook journal. As much detail as possible it will help you be more consistent from cook to cook and pinpoint any issues you might have

You can try autolysing the other flours before adding the rye flour and the yeast. A couple of hours will help develop the gluten and provide a better rise and less dense loaf. Also a higher hydration level helps the rise sometimes.

Reactions: SmokyMose
These 2 are German. Some may not like the ingredients.

INGREDIANTS​

Sift together into a large bowl:
2 cups rye flour
1 cup white flour
1½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon yeast
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 tablespoon caraway seed

Using a 2-cup glass measuring cup, pour in

2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon vinegar
then add water to the 14-oz line

INSTRUCTIONS:​

1. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients in the large bowl and mix with fork a few times.
2. Put bowl in plastic bag for 12 to 18 hours at room temperature.
3.Two hours before baking: Fold dough six times and put the ball of dough back in bowl with plastic bag.
4. When ready to bake, heat oven to 450°F with heavy 2-quart lidded casserole dish or Dutch oven in the oven for 30 minutes.
5. When oven is hot and casserole dish or DO is hot, remove the dough from the bowl, roll gently in flour and place into the hot dish.
6. Cut an X into ball of dough on top with scissors or sharp blade. Replace hot lid carefully and place covered casserole dish or DO into hot oven.
7. Bake 35 minutes at 450°F; then remove lid and bake another 10 minutes at 450°F.
8. Let set at least 30 minutes before slicing

Another

Roggenbrot

2 lb loaf

Recipe is for your bread machine if you have one.

1½ cups buttermilk
2½ cups whole wheat flour
½ cup rye flour
½ cup bread flour
¼ cup buckwheat flour
¼ cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup flax seeds (optional)
1 tablespoon soft butter or oil
3 tablespoons molasses

1. Put all ingredients into pan depending on the instructions that came with your bread machine. Some machines put the liquid ingredients in first, some the dry.
2. Use the following settings: Whole Grain, dark crust, 2 lb loaf.
3. Remove bread when finished and place on wire rack to cool before cutting

These 2 are German. Some may not like the ingredients.

INGREDIANTS​

Sift together into a large bowl:
2 cups rye flour
1 cup white flour
1½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon yeast
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 tablespoon caraway seed

Using a 2-cup glass measuring cup, pour in

2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon vinegar
then add water to the 14-oz line

INSTRUCTIONS:​

1. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients in the large bowl and mix with fork a few times.
2. Put bowl in plastic bag for 12 to 18 hours at room temperature.
3.Two hours before baking: Fold dough six times and put the ball of dough back in bowl with plastic bag.
4. When ready to bake, heat oven to 450°F with heavy 2-quart lidded casserole dish or Dutch oven in the oven for 30 minutes.
5. When oven is hot and casserole dish or DO is hot, remove the dough from the bowl, roll gently in flour and place into the hot dish.
6. Cut an X into ball of dough on top with scissors or sharp blade. Replace hot lid carefully and place covered casserole dish or DO into hot oven.
7. Bake 35 minutes at 450°F; then remove lid and bake another 10 minutes at 450°F.
8. Let set at least 30 minutes before slicing

Another

Roggenbrot

2 lb loaf

Recipe is for your bread machine if you have one.

1½ cups buttermilk
2½ cups whole wheat flour
½ cup rye flour
½ cup bread flour
¼ cup buckwheat flour
¼ cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup flax seeds (optional)
1 tablespoon soft butter or oil
3 tablespoons molasses

1. Put all ingredients into pan depending on the instructions that came with your bread machine. Some machines put the liquid ingredients in first, some the dry.
2. Use the following settings: Whole Grain, dark crust, 2 lb loaf.
3. Remove bread when finished and place on wire rack to cool before cutting

Nice I might have to steal them lol

Reactions: masterofmymeat
Always a learning process especially for bread. I highly recommend a cook journal. As much detail as possible it will help you be more consistent from cook to cook and pinpoint any issues you might have
I don't keep a journal per se, but every recipe I try I either print out or write on 8.5 x 11 paper or a 3x5 card and make notes on them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky