Rustic Sourdough Rye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bregent

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 1, 2014
Rustic Sourdough Rye

rye2.jpg
rye1.jpg

Looks great, I have my Sour dough starter sitting on the counter to start making it later
Love that SD bread

Gary

Looks awesome, Judy just made rustic sourdough pumpernickel. Looks exactly like yours, only a bit darker! Looking forward to some pastrami & Swiss on it for lunch!
Al

The last I tried the firm starter one fro this post.

One of the others was https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/jeffreys-sourdough-rye-bread-recipe

Brian, I read through that thread briefly and see that at one point, you were trying to make a 100% rye bread. I would suggest limiting the amount of rye for now to no more than 30% of the total flour. Supermarket rye's (Oroweat, etc) have about that much and the flavor of rye is very strong, so a little goes a long way. Rye has very little gluten, and is very sticky, which makes it hard to work with. Even the King Arthur recipe you cited may have too much rye if you are just starting out.

Also stay away from those recipes that uses bizarre ingredients like pickle juice - traditional rye has few ingredients. The only reason I can imagine folks use that is to add sourness - but you are making a sourdough bread so you don't need to add acid. Also, pickle juice, unless it's from fermented pickles, is the wrong type of acid.

Here's a formula I put together for you for a single loaf : https://www.bakerscalc.com/HsiHmqUs
For the levain, the evening before you are going to bake, mix together 50 grams of flour and 50 grams water, and 1 tsp of starter. Keep at 75-80 degrees for 12 hours until it becomes very active. The flours you use in the levain can be anything, but it might be helpful if they somewhat mimic the flours you are using in the bread dough.

For a rustic loaf with a thick crispy crust, bake in a DO. For a softer crust, bake in a loaf pan or directly on a stone. I mix everything by hand, using only stretch and folds.

For mixing and shaping the dough, watch this video by Chad Robertson of Tartine. In that video he is making 3 different breads, but focus on the Country Loaf.

And don't give up if it doesn't turn out exactly as you want. Rye takes practice - a lot has to do with making sure your levain is fully active, and making sure the dough has proofed to the right amount and is strong.

Brian, I read through that thread briefly and see that at one point, you were trying to make a 100% rye bread. I would suggest limiting the amount of rye for now to no more than 30% of the total flour. Supermarket rye's (Oroweat, etc) have about that much and the flavor of rye is very strong, so a little goes a long way. Rye has very little gluten, and is very sticky, which makes it hard to work with. Even the King Arthur recipe you cited may have too much rye if you are just starting out.

Also stay away from those recipes that uses bizarre ingredients like pickle juice - traditional rye has few ingredients. The only reason I can imagine folks use that is to add sourness - but you are making a sourdough bread so you don't need to add acid. Also, pickle juice, unless it's from fermented pickles, is the wrong type of acid.

Here's a formula I put together for you for a single loaf : https://www.bakerscalc.com/HsiHmqUs
For the levain, the evening before you are going to bake, mix together 50 grams of flour and 50 grams water, and 1 tsp of starter. Keep at 75-80 degrees for 12 hours until it becomes very active. The flours you use in the levain can be anything, but it might be helpful if they somewhat mimic the flours you are using in the bread dough.

For a rustic loaf with a thick crispy crust, bake in a DO. For a softer crust, bake in a loaf pan or directly on a stone. I mix everything by hand, using only stretch and folds.

For mixing and shaping the dough, watch this video by Chad Robertson of Tartine. In that video he is making 3 different breads, but focus on the Country Loaf.

And don't give up if it doesn't turn out exactly as you want. Rye takes practice - a lot has to do with making sure your levain is fully active, and making sure the dough has proofed to the right amount and is strong.

Thanks for taking the time. Be a couple weeks before bake again but will try it.

Wow! That bread looks awesome! Never baked rye bread before just because I don't feel I can do it but.... looking at your pick I think I got to try.

bregent, I am sorry but what is "DO"?

Sorry, DO=Dutch Oven

Nice looking loaf there wow some great sammie material there. Do you ever add caraway seed?

Warren

Thanks. I love caraway but I usually omit from the bread because my son doesn't like it. But I do add it to the sandwich, especially if pastrami or corned beef.

Looks like I forget to post... Oh man, that looks crazy good! Sourdough rye with a tad of char... I rarely use the word perfection but feel you indeed have it achieved perfection here. My dream is to have a buddy like you that would swap bread like that for a growler of my homebrew or chub of sausage. Keto be damned!

My dream is to have a buddy like you that would swap bread like that for a growler of my homebrew or chub of sausage.

Thanks, I'd go for that trade. I'm an ex-homebrewer and BJCP judge myself.

Reactions: zwiller
I get that. I am on hiatus. No time or room as of late. I was active over at AHA for awhile and started pushing the limits for brewing time. Did you use same handle and post over there? Seems like I recall that name.

I was active on rec.crafts.brewing for a long time with that same handle. Were you there?

Reactions: zwiller
Yes, but mainly lurked then. Not sure what handle I even had back then. WOW that brought back some memories! AOL discs... :emoji_laughing: Sounds like we were both brewers back in the dark age/before the internet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky