Rustic Sourdough Rye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for taking the time. Be a couple weeks before bake again but will try it.

Forgot to mention, but I would start off with the addition of some vital wheat gluten and or omit the wheat and go with bread flour for the balance. That should ensure you get a good rise.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Sourdough Rye/Semonlia. Based on King Arthur recipe, but I used SD instead of yeast.

rye1.jpg
rye2.jpg

BEAUTIFUL LOAF!!!!! Very similar to the Baurenbrot mit Suaerteig - Farmer's Bread with Sourdough I make. Don't know your recipe, but the Farmer's Bread uses a Rye Flour with Sourdough base that sits for 15-17 hours and a rye bread dough. My base generally sits for 24 hours, since I tend to forget about it sitting in the kitchen?! I have still to get a "perfect" loaf to look like yours, but, I'll op for taste with homemade sausage or bacon and eggs! If you would like to try your hand at this bread, here is the URL for the recipe, plus other German Brot recipes: Bauernbrot mit Sauerteig von zaubermaus558 | Chefkoch It is written in German, so you will have to use your web browser translator. If not, let me know and I'll send you a copy of the translated recipe to you.

Last edited:
For the levain, the evening before you are going to bake, mix together 50 grams of flour and 50 grams water, and 1 tsp of starter. Keep at 75-80 degrees for 12 hours until it becomes very active. The flours you use in the levain can be anything, but it might be helpful if they somewhat mimic the flours you are using in the bread dough.
Wow. 1 teaspoon? I normally just build my starter up to what I need.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky