Rust Damage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bubba warned me!
icon_biggrin.gif

This will take some time for me to digest ... however, the first thing that pops into my tiny brain is ... How can silver paint against the outside of the smoker reflect heat through the metal inside? .... wouldn't the paint need to be on the inside to do this?

Ok, like I said before this one really got me thinking(scary...I know
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif
) But was thinking Mike.....maybe you should paint one of those GOSM'S and report back to us
icon_wink.gif
icon_mrgreen.gif

Nope. The infrared passes right through the metal. Check out the link and read a bit on infrared theory. And think about the inside of that smoker, flat black from all that smoke.
I knew I never should have said anything. It's technical, but it is for real. Used thermography for years troubleshooting locomotive problems. One of the best tools we had.

Very interesting and educational ... thanks!

So ... would we reap any benefit to painting the outside of our smokers to white or silver? Or is the difference negligible?

I just love learning new things ....
icon_smile.gif

There would be some benefit, how much? Can't say until it is tried and checked out. Tonto is right, need to paint a smoker and see. And I probably will soon. I'll paint part of it silver and part black, fire it up and check the heat from each section with my RayTek infrared thermometer and compare. I'll post pics and info.
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

Gosh can you imagine what a white smoker would look like after a few smokes? I think I'll keep mine black thank you! I'd be scrumming that bugger instead of smoking in it!

Wally World sells a High Temp Paint. What you want is the 1200 Degree Paint. It's made by Rustoleum (Spelling). It's Great Stuff. I used it on my Fire Box and after 10 Smokes, It looks Brand New.

Hank

Too late. I'm started.
It is a really hard concept for some folks to understand, BUT-
Flat black allows infrared radiation (heat) to pass through very easily. Silver or white reflect infrared (as you said), as do polished surfaces. That is why propane tanks are silver or white, to reflect external heat and keep them cooler.
Now, visualize this - there are two sides to a coat of paint, one you can see, the other side is against whatever is painted with the paint AND IS THE SAME COLOR. A coat of silver paint on a smoker will reflect infrared, both from the outside (from the sun for example) and from the INSIDE, from your fire - that heat is reflected back into the smoker. Therefore it helps retain that heat inside your smoker and helps you use less fuel. Black, on the other hand, allows infrared to readily pass through it. So the heat inside your smoker is passing right through to the atmosphere.
Joe Q. Smoker painted the very first smoker built black like his wood stove, and they have been black ever since. It was passed down from all those wood stoves that were black so they would radiate as much heat as possible. Wood stoves have fire in them and are black, smokers have fire in them and, therefore, should also be black, right? Wrong.
Go here and read about infrared theory -

http://www.x20.org/library/thermal/infrared.htm

Enjoy.
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif
Makes total sense to me. Can you get hi-temp spray paint in silver, i.e. automotive?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky