Rural King pellets made by Lumberjack?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

motsyball

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
I have been buying Lumberjack pellets for my Traeger from Rural King for a while and to my surprise, when I went in to buy more they no longer carry Lumberjack pellets. I asked them why they no longer carried Lumberjack they said they now carry Rural Kings own brand of pellets and its made by Lumberjack and its the exact same pellet. Can anyone confirm this? They could have easily lied to me just to get me to buy their brand of pellets. Anyone used Rural King pellets? Do you recommend them?

From this thread, the answer is no.

I have been buying Lumberjack pellets for my Traeger from Rural King for a while and to my surprise, when I went in to buy more they no longer carry Lumberjack pellets. I asked them why they no longer carried Lumberjack they said they now carry Rural Kings own brand of pellets and its made by Lumberjack and its the exact same pellet. Can anyone confirm this? They could have easily lied to me just to get me to buy their brand of pellets. Anyone used Rural King pellets? Do you recommend them?
I haven't been able to verify who is making RK pellets, but I found several sources stating that Lumberjack is not making them for RK. One source actually called Lumberjack customer service and asked them.

There is absolutely no marking on the new Rural King Bag of 100% Hickory Pellets that indicates they are made by Lumberjack. Since I was in need for a large brisket smoke Saturday, I went ahead and purchased. Guess I'll see how they work. 🤞🤞🤞

There is absolutely no marking on the new Rural King Bag of 100% Hickory Pellets that indicates they are made by Lumberjack. Since I was in need for a large brisket smoke Saturday, I went ahead and purchased. Guess I'll see how they work. 🤞🤞🤞
Well how did the Rural King hickory pellets do?

They worked but this was just the first smoke with them. Like LB, definitely more ash.

When I was in the Kokomo, IN, Rural King in Feb., there was what now appears to be a homemade, photoshopped flier above several pallets of Rural King pellets; on the flier there was an image of a bag of LJ pellets next to a bag of RK pellets. The flier read "Same great pellets, new packaging," implying that the RK pellets were actually LJ. RK even has a "Competition Blend" brand. I went ahead and bought a couple bags since they were so cheap but I also contacted Lumberjack. Their response was that they do not manufacture pellets for RK, they are aware of some of the marketing tactics that have been going on in the RK stores, and they (LJ) were planning a response. Hope these RK pellets work ok because I'm about out of LJ and the RK ones are the only ones I have left for now lol.

I went ahead and bought a couple bags since they were so cheap but I also contacted Lumberjack. Their response was that they do not manufacture pellets for RK, they are aware of some of the marketing tactics that have been going on in the RK stores
Yeah, We have had an ongoing discussion with regards to RK pellets, and the stores claiming LJ is making them, and that it's a false claim. Do post up how they work out for you, because I and others are looking for alternatives to LJ now that Rural King quit carrying them.

I got a bag of Rural King Apple (blend) pellets last month.
I know they are not Lumberjack (LJ) pellets.
LJ pellets stand unique for the smallest diameter and appearance versus other pellet brands i have used to cook.

Friend of mine (RIP Craig) loved Traeger over Lumberjack due to the ash factor.

Our rural king has a sign sez new look same pellet , would think it would be a big tado if they were lying

Our rural king has a sign sez new look same pellet , would think it would be a big tado if they were lying
Well crafted. They said "same" which is vague. Same, as in still made by LJ, or ours are the same as the old ones.

When I was in the Kokomo, IN, Rural King in Feb., there was what now appears to be a homemade, photoshopped flier above several pallets of Rural King pellets; on the flier there was an image of a bag of LJ pellets next to a bag of RK pellets. The flier read "Same great pellets, new packaging," implying that the RK pellets were actually LJ. RK even has a "Competition Blend" brand. I went ahead and bought a couple bags since they were so cheap but I also contacted Lumberjack. Their response was that they do not manufacture pellets for RK, they are aware of some of the marketing tactics that have been going on in the RK stores, and they (LJ) were planning a response. Hope these RK pellets work ok because I'm about out of LJ and the RK ones are the only ones I have left for now lol.
I've used the RK version now for two smokes with no issues. As far as I can tell they perform equally to LJ.
YMMV...

Last edited:
When you report on using pellets are you using them for fuel from the hopper or in a supplemental smoke source?
I have tried a lot of pellets (and blends) in the hopper and haven't noticed much of a difference outside of using mesquite. I don't use mesquite in the hopper as it is too much flavor for my wife.
I use smoke tubes to get the flavor in my pellet pooper or Weber kettle.
My experience with RK pellets was all in a smoke tube.

Repeating previous post.
RK branded pellets are NOT Lumberjack pellets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky