Bear Mountain Owns Lumberjack?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
It’s more accurate to say the parent company that owns Bear Mountain bought Lumberjack on March 31, 2021. I had no idea. I hope they don’t change how Lumberjack is made as it’s a superior product in my humble opinion. In fact, they’d do well to change the BM process (pun intended) to the Lumberjack process. My apologies if this is old news and I was the last to find out.

This may be the reason for some changes that happened to Lumberjack products in 2020/2021.

At some point during the pandemic Lumberjack stopped doing 100% Mesquite, Apple, Pecan, and I think Maple as well. They did keep the blends with all of those woods though.

Dropping 100% Apple confused me but I could see where they may drop the other 2 as Mesquite is very regional and I think Pecan is just not on the top of anyone's list even when they live in a Pecan tree state.

I hope they don't change too much more and I agree that I would prefer Bear Mountain to be more like Lumberjack with their product approach and less the other way around.

As long as I can source 100% Mesquite from somewhere I can survive the pellet chaos. I would love to keep 100% Maple around too (Kingsford the only one I know doing 100% Maple now) but I think I have a fall back with Louisiana Grills pellets. Since their major blend wood seems to be Maple instead of Oak or Alder like other companies. So a heavy Maple blend like 70% maple 30% something else would work for me.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
I hope so. I know lumberjack is only made in Wisconsin. It would be great if it were more available and the price was more competitive.

It is available and competitive if you have the right vendors. Rural King and Atwoods Home and Ranch have it and sell it for like $9 for 20lbs. Dick's Sporting Goods sells it and I'm told they price match.

Reactions: forktender
Dicks/Field and Stream were one of the only places I could find Lumberjack, but they've had nothing but Traeger on the shelf for the last few months. Sprawl mart was carrying 100% cherry Kingsford, but that's gone also. I broke down and bought a bag of pit boss fruit blend.

Only info I could find is that Bear Mountain was bought out by Lignetics, the parent company of LJ, in 2015

Rural King and Atwoods Home and Ranch have it and sell it for like $9 for 20lbs.
Rual King discontinued Lumberjack and switched to their own branded bags. I haven't taken the time to figure out who makes them for RK.

Rual King discontinued Lumberjack and switched to their own branded bags. I haven't taken the time to figure out who makes them for RK.
I just read on the rec tec forum that a member called Lumberjack and asked them if they were making the RK branded pellets. They said that they are not making them.

I just read on the rec tec forum that a member called Lumberjack and asked them if they were making the RK branded pellets. They said that they are not making them.
I was at RK yesterday. They had a picture posted of the LJ bag and then a picture of their new bag beside it that said same product new design. But you can clearly tell that the RK pellets are bigger and the bag had quite a bit more dust in the bottom.from where the pellets were falling apart. So I didn't buy any got a bag of charcoal instead. Back to the drawing board I guess.

I was at RK yesterday. They had a picture posted of the LJ bag and then a picture of their new bag beside it that said same product new design. But you can clearly tell that the RK pellets are bigger and the bag had quite a bit more dust in the bottom.from where the pellets were falling apart. So I didn't buy any got a bag of charcoal instead. Back to the drawing board I guess.
Dang shame they quit carrying LJ, since it was the only place to get them around here. We have a Dick's, but they never seem to have any in the store. I read that Cabelas house brand is made by LJ, so those may be worth a try. RK was a lot more convenient, though.

I too hope they don’t change much, we have a farm and ranch store that started carrying LJ a couple years ago! Not knowing if they would continue to carry them on a regular basis, I stocked up! One thing I like about LJ is the pellets burn much more efficient than other brands I have tried!

Reactions: indaswamp
Dang shame they quit carrying LJ, since it was the only place to get them around here. We have a Dick's, but they never seem to have any in the store. I read that Cabelas house brand is made by LJ, so those may be worth a try. RK was a lot more convenient, though.
Yea for sure on the convenient. My closet dicks or Cabelas are around 50 min away

Reactions: DougE
Aha, Sven is correct.
The RK brand is definitely not LJ. I suspect they are Pit Boss pellets by the texture, diameter, and crumbs.
Side thought: Are Louisiana-Grills pellets the same as Pit Boss?

Dicks had a big website sale on LJ with free shipping, back around Xmas of 2020. I bought several bags of 100% Apple, Pecan, and a few more blends. Since they shipped each bag separately, my wife was pretty irritated at me when truckloads of boxes began showing up.
Bear Mountain is more accessible to me, and quite a bit cheaper. They burn fine, but I do wish they had a lower % of alder. Not sure exactly, but I think it's 60/40 one way or the other.

• Haha
Reactions: texomakid
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky