Rub without taste

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skychief12

Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
Did a couple of brisket flats lately. Finally got things where I want them. However I made up a couple different runs but none of them seem to add any taste. I think I added enough but any suggestions?

Are you basting, mopping or spritzing?
Very easy to wash/wipe away your rub.
How fresh are your spices?
Old and/or improperly stored spices lose a lot of flavor.
Overcooked and/burnt spices lose or change flavor

No I only use the rub. I cover it pretty well but not too thick. I do use the Texas Crutch when it hits 160. I wonder if that is causing steam to wash away some of the rub? What do you guys think?

I do use the Texas Crutch when it hits 160. I wonder if that is causing steam to wash away some of the rub? What do you guys think?

Yep. Let's assume you're crutching with foil, not butcher paper.

There's a reason the competition guys add a BUNCH more rub and other crap to their crutches, then flavor the meat with the drippings. All the flavor is in the drippings, not on the meat.

I have found that both rubs and marinades lose a huge amount of potency during the cook. I don't think this happens because they get washed off, but because many of the volatile compounds cook off.

The best example is hot sauces. When I marinade or baste, I often use a hot sauce as part of the liquid (this same thing applies to rubs). I love hot sauces, so many people give them to me as gifts. My daughter gave me some "Nando's Extra Hot Peri-Peri Sauce" when she came back from Kenya. It is almost as stupidly hot as "Dave's Insanity Sauce." Both of these are too hot for use as a condiment. However, what I found is that I can add several tablespoons of this stuff to a marinade or rub, and by the time the food has cooked, the spice heat is virtually gone, and even the flavor has muted.

So, I think much of what you are experiencing is due to the cooking itself.

I have found that both rubs and marinades lose a huge amount of potency during the cook. I don't think this happens because they get washed off, but because many of the volatile compounds cook off.

The best example is hot sauces. When I marinade or baste, I often use a hot sauce as part of the liquid (this same thing applies to rubs). I love hot sauces, so many people give them to me as gifts. My daughter gave me some "Nando's Extra Hot Peri-Peri Sauce" when she came back from Kenya. It is almost as stupidly hot as "Dave's Insanity Sauce." Both of these are too hot for use as a condiment. However, what I found is that I can add several tablespoons of this stuff to a marinade or rub, and by the time the food has cooked, the spice heat is virtually gone, and even the flavor has muted.

So, I think much of what you are experiencing is due to the cooking itself.

Actually have a friend who put quite a bit of Dave's Insanity Sauce directly on his ribs. He asked me if I wanted some. At that time I had never heard of it. I took the bottle and smelled it and passed. Then I read the back and it said to add a few drops to soups etc. for flavor. My buddy pretty much doused his food with it. Yes, he is still alive.

It sounds like maybe you burned out your circuits.

I'll never forget when someone gave me one of those super-hot peppers to try. I went into a fit of hiccups, as did the other two people who tried them. The burning hot sensation would have been OK, but the hiccups were a little like convulsions, and not something I would want to experience again.

At this point I use mostly Franks and the local favorite with our Mexican neighbors, Valentina. There were a dozen others we used regularly when my son was still at home, but my days of buying hot sauce via mail order from peppers.com and hotshoppe.com, a dozen bottles at a time, are over.

I am of the belief most rubs basically wash off. If you do an overnight rest, you get some penetration but no where as good as injecting. Injecting is best. For some reason people are averse to it, like it's cheating, but not me.

Reactions: bbqbrett
Did a couple of brisket flats lately. Finally got things where I want them. However I made up a couple different runs but none of them seem to add any taste. I think I added enough but any suggestions?

How long before the cook are you putting the rub on? I've seen people stopped putting it on the night before b/c they wanted to get more of the meat taste instead of the rub. Also, I've never heard or read someone that uses rub and doesn't taste it. Can you explain your process and what your rub is made of?

How long before the cook are you putting the rub on? I've seen people stopped putting it on the night before b/c they wanted to get more of the meat taste instead of the rub. Also, I've never heard or read someone that uses rub and doesn't taste it. Can you explain your process and what your rub is made of?

The rub goes on the day before (afternoon). equal parts pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder + cayenne & paprika. I do use foil for crutch.

Hmm strange. I've never heard anyone lose taste from using foil and you let it sit for 24hrs so it should be well in it. My only suggestion is to use more.

You can try doing everything but foiling it to see if there's a difference but I think the only diff is will be the amount of bark which you may like.

That's basically a SPOG rub which I think highlights the meat taste to begin with so another option is to try a bolder rub.

Hmm strange. I've never heard anyone lose taste from using foil and you let it sit for 24hrs so it should be well in it. My only suggestion is to use more.

You can try doing everything but foiling it to see if there's a difference but I think the only diff is will be the amount of bark which you may like.

That's basically a SPOG rub which I think highlights the meat taste to begin with so another option is to try a bolder rub.

That's my best guess too. I'll try adding more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky