Rub question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 17, 2013
Central Pa
I have a 11 lb butt I want to cook either Saturday or Sunday.

I usually rub right before going on the smoker but when I use Jeff's I  rub the night before.

Can I rub it tonight and smoke on Sunday if I don't get to it tomorrow?

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't see any harm in letting it sit in the rub for a couple of days. I don't think you'll pull out to much moisture from the meat but then again I've never let meat sit that long in rub either.

I've always rubbed my butts 24 hours before the cook.  I have some ribs in the frig that were rubbed early yesterday afternoon and will be smoking them this afternoon. Perfectly fine and no issues doing this.

The opposite is also true, you can rub just before you put it on the pit, IMHO works just as well as the dry marinade in the fridge. BTW I've done it both ways.

I put the butt on this morning. I rubbed it friday evening. Looks great. Rub really melted into the meat.

I will get a pic when I probe it.

The longer it sits on the meat the better the flavor and more penetration. My wife just never seems to purchase or defrost far enough ahead to get more than a overnight rest...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky