Rub for a chuck roast?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Good morning!
I'm planning to make another attempt at a chuck roast in the offset and was thinking about a rub other than just salt and pepper.
The only salt I can use is a salt substitute.
Any ideas?
Dan

Reactions: JLeonard
Mrs. Dash original might be a good substitute. The Garlic and Herb blend may be a better choice. Good luck Smokey, I'm sure it will turn out great.

Mrs. Dash original might be a good substitute. The Garlic and Herb blend may be a better choice. Good luck Smokey, I'm sure it will turn out great.
I like the Mrs. Dash idea and I already have some. The Mrs. asked why I was looking through the spice cabinet and wants SPOG using her salt substitute.
I think I'm going to add CBP and some of her salt to the half empty Mrs. Dash and run with it.
I need luck LOL! The last two chuckies I did were dry. This one has some nice streaks of fat.
>fingers crossed<

Sounds like a good plan Dan.
watching for the show

But be very aware of the " Nose Wrinkle " lol

David
I used something I found at Academy called Grub Rub. I put it all over the roast and let it sit in the fridge overnight uncovered. When it came up to temperature I wrapped it in paper. It was delicious and tender. The rub has a tenderizer in it I think.

Reactions: SmokyMose
I used something I found at Academy called Grub Rub. I put it all over the roast and let it sit in the fridge overnight uncovered. When it came up to temperature I wrapped it in paper. It was delicious and tender. The rub has a tenderizer in it I think.
I think I may have seen that at the store. I'll look for it next time I'm out.
I have to watch out for sodium and most commercial products are loaded with it.

I like the Mrs. Dash idea and I already have some. The Mrs. asked why I was looking through the spice cabinet and wants SPOG using her salt substitute.
I think I'm going to add CBP and some of her salt to the half empty Mrs. Dash and run with it.
I need luck LOL! The last two chuckies I did were dry. This one has some nice streaks of fat.
>fingers crossed<

I'm on board with your salt substitute and POG.
Also chucks can dry out on you for sure.

I have a tip to avoid dry chuck.
Mine come out fine when I smoke naked to an IT of 180-190F then I FOIL wrap tightly but also splash in a couple ounces of liquid like water but use any liquid you like as some use some wine or beer or broth, etc.

I wrap at that IT because if you wrap a piece of meat like this too early (160F) it very much will taste like roast beef more than bbq beef. After all that time and effort, it is super disappointing to eat roast beef instead of bbq beef hahaha.

Take it to an IT of 205F if you are wanting shredded bbq beef and before pulling it BE SURE to test for tenderness. Do this by stabbing the meat all over with a kabob skewer and it should go in with no resistance.
It's only done when it is tender all over.
Do these things and I would pretty much juicy tender success with your chuck :)

Reactions: Colin1230
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky