RT-590 cleaning..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mkorish

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 18, 2016
I've owned the rectec 590 for not quit a year and am loving the living h..l out of this smoker. Does anyone have any good tips for giving it a really good cleaning once and awhile. Kinda OCD when it comes to certain things...... Like my smoker..

Putting a lava lock gasket seal on the lid will eliminate most exterior staining. The all weather vents help with also.
Bar keepers friend gently worked on the SS parts works good. Just remember to go with the grain.

Reactions: Aledavidov
I have a 590 as well.
My go to is the 3M SS pads, you can find in any grocery store. My grates still look brand new with a scrub every once in awhile. This is good for the insides and outsides.
In reality, for a pellet smoker, these are the necessities I do each cook:
1. Regularly cleaned burn pot.
2. Regularly cleaned thermostat probe
3. Regularly changed out foil or scrubbing of drip pan
4. Regularly cleaned grates

For the "looking for something to do" Saturdays, all of the above plus:
5. SS scrub of the areas surrounding the lid
6. Vacuum out the ash around the burn pot (this is where I put it when I clean out the pot)
7. Good degreasing of drip tray and catch and tube
8. finally a good soapy water in a spray bottle with a towel cleanup.

If you've had some high heat with some burning fats/oils and a good creosote buildup, I'd take the SS scrub brush to the entire inside too. If not, I'd leave it be.
BarKeepers friend is excellent and really cleans it up, but I hate the mess it makes. They have a new squeeze bottle with liquid that's better, but still too much hassle.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky