Royal Oak Star Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gros cochon

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Hi Guys,

I received my 18.5 WSM yesterday & planning a smoke next weekend. I decided I'm gonna use lump charcoal for fuel & read good things about RO. The only Ro lump I've found in Montreal is the blue bag marked Star Grill. I can't find any info on this. Does anybody know if it's similar to the red bags in the states? Or do you think I should just use Maple Leaf lump. The're both readily available where I live, but the RO is dirt cheap (8$ for 20 pounds). Maple Leaf is 15$.

Thank You

All I can say is RO lump is good. Maybe the bag turns blue when it crosses the border.  
icon_mrgreen.gif

Thank you for link, very informative. Turns out the RO was on sale and is now 15$, So I bought a few bags of Maple Leaf. According to the link it's very good also, so I'll try that. Pulled pork, chicken & ribs on the menu this long weekend. Thanks again.

Unless I'm mistaken, the blue bag in Canada is the same as the red bag is the U.S.A. It's all good my friend.

Last edited:
Unless I'm mistaken, the blue bag in Canada is the same as the red bag is the U.S.A. It's all good my friend.
Thanks for the reply. I'll see how the Maple Leaf lump turns out, and maybe I'll try the RO after. The're the same price. It appears a lot of folks here really like the Maple leaf also. I've never cooked with charcoal before, so this is all new to me. I guess i'll experiment a little.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky