• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Royal Oak Star Grill

gros cochon

Meat Mopper
Joined Apr 17, 2011
Hi Guys,

I received my 18.5 WSM yesterday & planning a smoke next weekend. I decided I'm gonna use lump charcoal for fuel & read good things about RO. The only Ro lump I've found in Montreal is the blue bag marked Star Grill. I can't find any info on this. Does anybody know if it's similar to the red bags in the states? Or do you think I should just use Maple Leaf lump. The're both readily available where I live, but the RO is dirt cheap (8$ for 20 pounds). Maple Leaf is 15$.

Thank You

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
All I can say is RO lump is good. Maybe the bag turns blue when it crosses the border.  

gros cochon

Meat Mopper
Joined Apr 17, 2011
I haven't checked where it's made. I guess if it's USA or Canada, it should be the good stuff, right?

gros cochon

Meat Mopper
Joined Apr 17, 2011
Thank you for link, very informative. Turns out the RO was on sale and is now 15$, So I bought a few bags of Maple Leaf. According to the link it's very good also, so I'll try that. Pulled pork, chicken & ribs on the menu this long weekend. Thanks again.

richoso1

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 21, 2007
Unless I'm mistaken, the blue bag in Canada is the same as the red bag is the U.S.A. It's all good my friend.

Last edited:

gros cochon

Meat Mopper
Joined Apr 17, 2011
Unless I'm mistaken, the blue bag in Canada is the same as the red bag is the U.S.A. It's all good my friend.
Thanks for the reply. I'll see how the Maple Leaf lump turns out, and maybe I'll try the RO after. The're the same price. It appears a lot of folks here really like the Maple leaf also. I've never cooked with charcoal before, so this is all new to me. I guess i'll experiment a little.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.