Royal Oak Lump.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
This is the second bag of RO that has been 50% lump and 50% “shake” or pieces small enough to fall through the grates on a kettle. Didn’t used to be that way, I’ve bought RO for years with no complaints other than an occasional rock, but I’m done buying it. I’ll move on.

Anybody noticed the same?

Yeah been like that for a couple years. I exclusively uses jealous devil now. It's a tad more expensive but you get big chunks and even consistency so it evens out the cost
Thanks Jake.
Heck yeah at almost 50% waste the RO Is no value for sure. Only other I have available here is Cowboy Lump and occasionally B&B lump. Love the B&B but never know when it’s available.

This is the second bag of RO that has been 50% lump and 50% “shake” or pieces small enough to fall through the grates on a kettle. Didn’t used to be that way, I’ve bought RO for years with no complaints other than an occasional rock, but I’m done buying it. I’ll move on.

Anybody noticed the same?
Yep, started 2-3 years ago, I switched to B&B. Same with briquettes, both RO & KF have gone down hill in terms of quality.

- Jason

I had about one chimney of RO left this morning so I bought two bags of Cowboy hickory oak mix. I could definitely tell the difference. The RO snapped and popped when the cowboy just burnt.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I've looked around online at Jealous Devil and Walmart has the best price, but their bag and online add do not say XL Lump whereas Tractor Supply, Academy Sports, and other online retailers all say XL. Anyone know what's different? Are they bagging and selling their seconds or off quality to Walmart? Just curious...

I'm a JD fan. I like to drive to wherever and buy it in person. Be wary of having lump shipped because chances are it will be handled roughly and the pieces in the bag will be broken up before it arrives at your home. Best deal of all is to find it on a pallet somewhere shipped straight from the manufacturer so you can carefully lift it right off the pallet, pay for it, and then place it gently in your truck.

I'm a JD fan. I like to drive to wherever and buy it in person. Be wary of having lump shipped because chances are it will be handled roughly and the pieces in the bag will be broken up before it arrives at your home. Best deal of all is to find it on a pallet somewhere shipped straight from the manufacturer so you can carefully lift it right off the pallet, pay for it, and then place it gently in your truck.
Whee do you get it?

I actually have not found JD on a pallet, but IIRC, I bought it at ACE, a 20# bag.
Thanks. I have only used cowboy lump. My Safeway sells a few offbrads I was going to try along with RO . Never seen the Jealous Devil brand. What part of Md are you in., Kent Ialsand here.

Reactions: Marknmd
Thanks. I have only used cowboy lump. My Safeway sells a few offbrads I was going to try along with RO . Never seen the Jealous Devil brand. What part of Md are you in., Kent Ialsand here.
I'm in upper Montgomery County near the Howard County line.

I just checked online and Ace doesn't seem to have it but it's at Walmart.

Edit: Home Depot has it too, that's where I probably got it

Last edited:
Ace hardware stores around here also carry Rockwood Lump, which is highly rated on Naked Whiz. I haven't tried it yet, but plan on picking up a bag next time I'm in there.

Reactions: Marknmd
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky